• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake TMG ND4 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

someone1029

I am thinking of investing in a water cooling system in the future, but am unsure on the GPU block. I am thinking of getting a Thermaltake TMG ND4 waterblock [with inbuilt radiator], but on the thermaltake website it says that the ND4 is for 8800GTX's, but i have a GTS. Does anyone know if it is compatible? and if not does anyone know of any compatible bocks with inbuilt radiators?

I strongly recommend not buying any watercooling components from Thermaltake, especially if this will be your first WC system. Thermaltake seems to design for low cost, low performance, and bling, but their product pages are often quite misleading and the uninitiated are frequently fooled into thinking they're getting high-end WC components.

Here is a similar design from the much more reputable D-TEK. It is also for the GTX, though. http://www.ocforums.com/newreply.php

It's more obvious when you look at D-TEK's unshrouded Unisink, but both these designs are just a standalone waterblock with a one-piece heatsink for the rest of the card. You could accomplish the same thing with a GPU block and several small heatsinks.

Swiftech, another company with a very good reputation, combines the heatsink with the top of the block, providing a combination of air water cooling for the low wattage componets on the card and of course full watercooling for the GPU. It is compatible with 8800 GTS.
http://www.swiftnets.com/products/stealth.asp

Otter said:
I strongly recommend not buying any watercooling components from Thermaltake, especially if this will be your first WC system. Thermaltake seems to design for low cost, low performance, and bling, but their product pages are often quite misleading and the uninitiated are frequently fooled into thinking they're getting high-end WC components.
True, I had a "watercooling" system for my processor awhile back and it got worse temps than the stock cooler >.>

What kit would that be.
After restesting my kit vs my DIY kit now that I have learened a little more about Ocing I found a few degree difference between the kit 1/4 and the diy 1/2.
Not saying DIY is not better cause it is, but kits are not as bad as you guys make them out to be. Seriously you guys should just make a sticky that says anyone who asks a question regarding ny watercooling product from TT or coolermaster etc will hear it sucks dont do it. Others have shown on this very forum that they are not that bad and definetly not worse thn stock cooling, but the same posts will be made everytime.

Again is DIY better? yes
Is it more expensive? yes generally for good equipment.
Is the temperature difference when just cooling a cpu night and day? No generally not. Its generally somewhere between 3-6 degrees it seems

I care less about temps, I just want efficiency and reliability, with quality, I got some Tt stuff way back when and was excited about it, when it got to my door I opened the package, the first thought to run through my mind was "This is utter complete sh*t garbage!" it never went into a system I threw it out did some more research and went custom, 3 years now and I have not reseated the blocks or any thing and I still get stable reasonable temps 100% lower then air cooled and hell of allot quieter!

I have not seen one even half descant thing from Tt I would consider worth spending money on, I grew up in heavy industry, and when it comes to parts cheap or flashy are never good. The block I ordered from Tt looked half ok, but upon seeing it in Real life I realized what a sh*t product they make, more of their stuff I see the worse I see it is.

I know of a block that is 20US that would wipe the floor with ANY Tt block, and even with out a rad a half as*ed DIY loop would wipe the floor with Tt, Koolance at least has a half appreciable product that is acceptable where as Tt does not.

ahbroody said:
What kit would that be.
The bigwater one, when it came out. I moved to a "real" custom watercooler and temps dropped alot.

thanks for the advice guy's!
the reason i wanted a block with a radiator inbuilt is because i dont want to put any radiators outside the case [antec 900]. does anyone know if it is possible to fit a 240mm or even a 360mm radiator in the bottom of the case. i just was'nt sure, cos of the fact that the power supply is mounted in the bottom of the case as well.

XeonStrikeForce said:
I care less about temps, I just want efficiency and reliability, with quality, I got some Tt stuff way back when and was excited about it, when it got to my door I opened the package, the first thought to run through my mind was "This is utter complete sh*t garbage!" it never went into a system I threw it out did some more research and went custom, 3 years now and I have not reseated the blocks or any thing and I still get stable reasonable temps 100% lower then air cooled and hell of allot quieter!

I have not seen one even half descant thing from Tt I would consider worth spending money on, I grew up in heavy industry, and when it comes to parts cheap or flashy are never good. The block I ordered from Tt looked half ok, but upon seeing it in Real life I realized what a sh*t product they make, more of their stuff I see the worse I see it is.

I know of a block that is 20US that would wipe the floor with ANY Tt block, and even with out a rad a half as*ed DIY loop would wipe the floor with Tt, Koolance at least has a half appreciable product that is acceptable where as Tt does not.

a little anger you got going on over there. Relax man relax.
Well when I first bought the kit I had I was new to WC also and I will say this impacted its results. As I stated before and will state again. The kits arent that bad. I think some of there bad publicity comes from people whom like yourself and me buy a kit when they dont trully understand WC yet and may need to learn a little more about proper OCing this effects results.

In a previous thread I posted this but will do it again.
I recently swapped out my DIY kit for the coolmaster kit I have and observed the following.
With an over clock of 3.0 on an e6400 on the CoolerMaster kit I got idel temps of 37 degrees up from 34ish on my DIY kit on a dtek db-1 with 1/2 line and double 120 rad. I used the appogee block for both DIY and kit as I was to lazy to switch the block, just the fittings

Running orthos for 1/2 hour gave temps of around 45 degrees on the kit vs 41 on the DIY. Taking the cpu to 3.175 on the coolermaster leaves idel temps of 40 degrees where the 1/2 DIY was 36 degrees. It really seems the kit is fine for mid level OC and average use, but when you go high OC and stress it, it just cant dissapate the heat as well as the DIY. All and all the kit cost me 60.00 after rebates and was within 4-5 degrees of the more than double the price DIY kit.

On a seperate note after reading a few stickies I went back to 3/8's from 1/2 and added the NB cooler and saw about a 1 degree increase in temps. I will gladly sacrafice 1 degree at 3.2 to have an easier to manage cleaner looking case with 3/8's

Again kits arent the great evil you all make them out to be. They are not as effective as DIY, but they are often found for very chep after rebates and cool to within 4-5 degrees of the DIY systems on a basic loop. Not great but not crap. Certainly better than an alleged loop with no radiator. As long as you guys continue to flame kits with statements like a loop with no radiator is better than a kit with a rad I will continue to defend the kits. Are you talking about a huge res or a bong system? none of these are effective for a person looking for a small discrete cooling kit which these kits often provide.

Just looking to add a little balance here. No one is saying DIY isnt better, of course it is. I am just saying kits are not as bad as many make them out to be

I'm saying Tt kits are "THAT BAD" any other kit I say would/could be acceptable, No anger, just fact, backed up by hard data plus personal experiance.

I never got a Kit, I learn't long ago from growing up in industry kits are never good thing, only system that will ever have the most succes will be engineered to the situation at hand, at fiirst I thought a Tt product was even a remote viable option to be a componant, after seeing it in RL I threw out that option. Thank fully it was a very cheao investmint so thank fully I didn't loose much over it, no risk no reward they say, only with the Tt item, there was no reward, live and learn!

DIY Kit? That there is a contridiction, if it is a kit, it is not DIY, and if a DIY set up failes to perform it is becuase the one who designed the set up failed to calculate the system correctly, that is the nature of DIY it is up to the maker to properly make the system efficiently, Naturaly this is why kits too fail, theyare designed based on a static situational model, not a real dynamic system, this how ever is aside from the point.

How ever again I do not disagree, Kits are fine and dandy just not Tt Kits they are garbage and I do not want to see newbs ripped off.

I cool a large system, the cooling tower is all half inch, that breakes out to 3/8 for the server and 1/4 for the fire wall in a perralel circuit. it was custome built for my application and thus far has performed flawlessly to my standerds and by buying kits for the raw parts as I got all the parts I wanted cheaper then indavidualy then added on or subtracted as needed.

FYI My system is as simple as it gets, I do not knock any kit OTHER THEN Tt, as THEY have not earned ANY merrit on technical side, All they do is make flashy misleading garbage! Koolance albeit over priced makes a damned nice kit, and there are a good number of others for thoughs who just want quiet, Tt just doen't meet ANY of thoughs standerds.

Last edited:
Hi, first post here and very new to water cooling.

I was pulled in by thermaltakes marketing when I first looked into water cooling. I have built many systems before but I have almost finished building my first water cooled system. I have a Thermaltake Kandalf LCS case but I have not used any of the water cooling components as my research before told me that thermaltake are probably not the bests. The case itself is great though. I do have 2 questions. First of all the only thing in the loop that is thrmaltake is the massive radiator in the front door which I think does the job quite nicely. Is this wise or would you change the radiator too? the second question is I have an MSI Geforce 8800 GTX ultra OC edition graphics card which is not currently water cooled and I was looking for some advice on, A) can this be water cooled and b) which block to choose. I was looking at the swiftech stealth, is this a good choice?

Thanks for any advise guys.

Tt Heat sinks, and if you can tollerate the look of it their cases, aren't bad either. The radiators they use are more like a condencer on a fridge! rather then a good water radiator. A good rad would be of the dual 120 persuation, as this offers upgradability, and quiet running for the mean time.

someone1029 said:
thanks for the advice guy's!
the reason i wanted a block with a radiator inbuilt is because i dont want to put any radiators outside the case [antec 900].
The radiator in these graphics coolers does not cool the GPU. Most of the heat from the card will still go through the block into your coolant, and that's a good thing.

does anyone know if it is possible to fit a 240mm or even a 360mm radiator in the bottom of the case. i just was'nt sure, cos of the fact that the power supply is mounted in the bottom of the case as well.
I'm not sure about your case, but you can measure and find out yourself. The dimensions are near the bottom of Swiftech's product pages:
http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MCR220-QP.asp#
http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MCR320-QP.asp

Arramond said:
Hi, first post here and very new to water cooling.

I was pulled in by thermaltakes marketing when I first looked into water cooling. I have built many systems before but I have almost finished building my first water cooled system. I have a Thermaltake Kandalf LCS case but I have not used any of the water cooling components as my research before told me that thermaltake are probably not the bests. The case itself is great though. I do have 2 questions. First of all the only thing in the loop that is thrmaltake is the massive radiator in the front door which I think does the job quite nicely. Is this wise or would you change the radiator too? the second question is I have an MSI Geforce 8800 GTX ultra OC edition graphics card which is not currently water cooled and I was looking for some advice on, A) can this be water cooled and b) which block to choose. I was looking at the swiftech stealth, is this a good choice?

Thanks for any advise guys.
:welcome: to the forum, Arramond. This thread is already straying pretty far from Someone's questions, and your own questions deserve their own thread anyway. I suggest that you make a new thread for each question. Be sure to make your titles descriptive. That will draw in people who have the knowledge you seek. I know I sometimes ignore threads with meaningless titles like "watercooling question" whereas I'll always click on a thread if the title indicates something I'm interested in or know something about. Be sure to include pictures or a link for your radiator as most of us have no idea what Thermaltake puts in the Kandalf LCS.

Back