• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help breaking 1Ghz with duron 800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mawnee

Hi gang new to the boards =)

Ok, heres my 800 duron specs, I"m currently stable at 945(7x135). But that seems to be my max. The highest multipliers my CPU will post at is 7 at 133 or 9 at 100. The bi*** of it is..if I bump my bus more than a point or two it wont post. I dont think it likes my PCI clock at anything but 33 =( Running at max volts to save some troubleshooting for now (1.85). Is there maybe a Bios Setting I"m missing that will make my system take the Bus boost better ?

Soyo K7VTA-Pro
800 Duron @945(7x135)
Volcano II cooler - 38C under load
Elsa ErazorX Geforce256 32mb (AGP)
512mb PC133 (2x256)

Went to Soyo's website, but don't have time to download and read the manual :) Does the mobo let you set your pci/agp divider? If it does, what is it set at? Change the setting to give you 33 pci.

Unfortunately the PCI clock and the CPU clock are linked, so for every couple of MHz I bump my CPU bus it bumps my PCI clock. Is there possibly a bios setting that would bypass this and default PCI to 33 ?

That's right, they are linked. But they are linked by a setting called the divider. This determines the ratio of your pci clock to your fsb. For example, a divider setting of 4 and fsb setting of 133MHz means that your fsb is running at 133MHz, but the pci is running at 1/4 of fsb, or 33MHz. Depending on the quality of the cards you have in the pci slots, they may allow higher than 33MHz on the pci bus.

Mawnee said:
Hi gang new to the boards =)

Ok, heres my 800 duron specs, I"m currently stable at 945(7x135). But that seems to be my max. The highest multipliers my CPU will post at is 7 at 133 or 9 at 100. The bi*** of it is..if I bump my bus more than a point or two it wont post. I dont think it likes my PCI clock at anything but 33 =( Running at max volts to save some troubleshooting for now (1.85). Is there maybe a Bios Setting I"m missing that will make my system take the Bus boost better ?

IMO I think that your memory may be the problem. I assume that it is plain generic RAM. If you run a diag like SiSandra on the RAM it will give the specs. Most of the generic RAM while sold as 133 is only 133 CAS 3 not 2. You will have to look at the settings in your BIOS for memory and try CAS3. The other possibility is your PSU. If you have set it 1.85 you may be demanding too much of the PSU. Suiggest trying at 1.7V. As a rough guide with the Duron 800 increase by 0.1V per 100MHz. Thereafter you can probably decrease it.

Back