• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installing YellowDog on PS3 TONIGHT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
tenchi86 said:
It's extremely easy, just remember that you need a USB Mouse/Keyboard as the PS3 controller will not work.

Sorry but I had some mass issues. 3 hours later and it's finally installed. It's every bit the frustrating and infuriating nightmare that I've come to expect from Linux. I downloaded 3 sets of instructions, none of which were correct and almagmated the 3 and experimented on my own before I could actually get it to work. It NEVER recognized my FAT32 formatted USB flashdrive with the OTHEROS files copied onto it in the PS3/otheros/ directory but I was able to put them into the otheros folder on the DVD.

Now I get to probably spend another infuriating 2 hours installing VLC.
Not impressed with 1080i mode, screen is too small. If it doesn't make a difference in VLC, I'll go back to 480i.

Just for the record:

I ****ING HATE LINUX!!!!!!!

Last edited:
**** THIS. I am so ****ED OFF at this thing right now that I just have to walk away from it for a while and come back tomorrow. I may just dump YellowDog and install Ubuntu. This is ****ING RIDICULOUS the hoops you have to jump through with ****ING LINUX. It took 3 GOD DAMNED hours to install and how I have to look through God knows how many ****ING guides to figure out how in the HELL I'm supposed to enter 500 ****ING BASH commands to install YUM just to install VLC and then probably another 500 ****ING BASH commands to install the codecs

I ****ING HATE LINUX WITH A PASSION!!!!!

AAAAAARRRRRRGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Fudge I think Linux just must dislike you. For me to install all I did was burn one the files/iso to a DVD, stuck it in, and pretty much just let the install go. The install itself probably took an hour or two (was not watching it) but it required no interaction from me besides the basics like picking your name and password. Hopefully you have more luck tomorrow.

Did you install VLC on yours? If so was there an easier way than installing YUM first???

Right now I am kissing and hugging my Mac because "it just works"

Not that I know of.

When I installed mine I used a guide on a PS3 forum I found, this is not the exact one but it seems simple enough. (Required XP, hope you have that?)

Step 1. Getting VLC Player installed onto the PS3, including all dependencies.

Thanks for the repos from pacific808, download the zip file here and use archive manager (default) to extract it to /etc/yum.repos.d . Youll need to set the directory as it will try to download to the desktop.

http://users.xplornet.com/~ooley/therepos.zip

now open a gnome teminal and type

"yum update"

this will update your repositories.

Once its completed we will install VLC player simply by typing

"yum install videolan-client"

into the gnome terminal. This will install a version 0.8.5 ppc of VLC player and its dependencies

Try opening a few local files in VLC to make sure its working
http://ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=53776&page=2
Hopefully that helps/works, as the guide I used was a bit longer. The one I used was a bit closer to this one:
http://www.tbreak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38117
(Also note that last guide is old, and the wireless network does now work.)

At first VLC will most likely be laggy, but there are some tweaks you can do to fix that. I will try and find them.

Edit: I looked and it appears that if you follow the first guide I posted VLC will already be optimized for the PS3, atleast in terms of source code. I will continue to look for a few other optimizations I have come across.

Last edited:
Uh, Fudge, if you can put Ubuntu on it, why didn't you put Ubuntu on it? It's the easiest Linux in the entire world. Why fight w/ YD if there's an easier, more user-friendly option?

geez, those instructions you posted are INFINATELY easier than the ones I have..... That's the thing that suxks about linux, there are 10 different ways to do things and when I search I keep coming up with the most round about way of doing it.

Thanks Tenchi

FudgeNuggets said:
geez, those instructions you posted are INFINATELY easier than the ones I have..... That's the thing that suxks about linux, there are 10 different ways to do things and when I search I keep coming up with the most round about way of doing it.

Thanks Tenchi

Yeah I can.... see how thats a terrible thing. Options = bad I guess?

I can see that you are frustrated, we've all been there man. But making posts with bleeped out swearing doesn't solve anything. If you ask questions, we'll help.

I hope it works out for you.

Oni, he may be using YDL as it is officially supported by Sony and as such is usually the first to have optimizations for the PS3 hardware. (Such as wireless)

tenchi86 said:
Oni, he may be using YDL as it is officially supported by Sony and as such is usually the first to have optimizations for the PS3 hardware. (Such as wireless)

Yeah, if Ubuntu had all the PS3 drivers and Cell optimizations I would definately be using it.

Ok, I followed your instructions Tenchi and the "yum update" worked fine but "yum install videolan-client" starts but then says it cannot find it...... any ideas?

Not really. I went over the original thread and a couple people complained that their repositories were not properly updated, and a couple others received an error around yours because their YDL internet connection was automatically setup and was extremely slow which caused the download of VLC to time out. Really though none of the errors were exactly what you had. I would try posting in our Linux section for help as the original thread seems pretty old, but if you like I can try making a post for you in the original thread as I have an account over there already.

Ever think of Gentoo? Maybe you can compile your own optomized kernel?

Although I think that might be more frustration for you than its worth..as if you leave one flag off, you got to recompile the whole kernel again..I've done it...several times..

Shelnutt2 said:
Ever think of Gentoo? Maybe you can compile your own optomized kernel?

Although I think that might be more frustration for you than its worth..as if you leave one flag off, you got to recompile the whole kernel again..I've done it...several times..

The words "recompile kernile" make me shudder and give me nightmares at the mere thought.

Try a "yum search videolan" and "yum search videolan-client". I never used YellowDog, but Fedora 7 should work great on the PS3. It has a PS3 optimized version, and the yum repos are much better.

Cheator said:
Try a "yum search videolan" and "yum search videolan-client". I never used YellowDog, but Fedora 7 should work great on the PS3. It has a PS3 optimized version, and the yum repos are much better.

cool, thanks!!! I'll try it tonight and if it fails then I'll download and burn a Fedora DVD unless I can get mplayer to work (have to download codecs, it won't play anything right now.)

Back