• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[e6420]Disabled "power save" mode or w/e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ik0n

My e6420 is completely stock right now. When I don't have much running (not a game or large application) my CPU reads 1.6GHz on CPU-Z instead of 2.13. The voltage is also very low. As soon as a open a program or game the voltage goes up to ~1.35 and the speed goes to its normal 2.13. I want to know what to change (if possible) to make it stay a constant 2.13 and ~1.35v. Thanks in advance. I can post screenshots of CPU-Z or whatever is needed.

I'm assuming this is some sort of "power save" function but I'm not completely sure. I wanted to see if someone knew exactly what setting I could change in the bios to make it constant instead of varying with the current load on the cpu.

Last edited:
ik0n said:
My e6420 is completely stock right now. When I don't have much running (not a game or large application) my CPU reads 1.6GHz on CPU-Z instead of 2.13. The voltage is also very low. As soon as a open a program or game the voltage goes up to ~1.35 and the speed goes to its normal 2.13. I want to know what to change (if possible) to make it stay a constant 2.13 and ~1.35v. Thanks in advance. I can post screenshots of CPU-Z or whatever is needed.

I'm assuming this is some sort of "power save" function but I'm not completely sure. I wanted to see if someone knew exactly what setting I could change in the bios to make it constant instead of varying with the current load on the cpu.

What mobo are you using? Like bail said it's c1e, speed step, or eist.

Peepaw said:
What mobo are you using? Like bail said it's c1e, speed step, or eist.
Some motherboards (AW9D-MAX specifically) have both c1e and eist.

Also:

:welcome: to the forums!!!

shoot I disabled my speedstep in BIOS, only one listed there, and my CPU still does this. Found out that Vista has hidden settings that should be there in power management but are not due to it being a desktop system that are turning speedstep back on to leverage the CPU volts and speed. I have not seen it effect anything yet, but someone once said that a car engine will die faster if you live in the city due to it stopping and starting all the time but freeway only driving will cause it to last longer. I wonder if this applies to a CPU?

reddragon72 said:
I have not seen it effect anything yet, but someone once said that a car engine will die faster if you live in the city due to it stopping and starting all the time but freeway only driving will cause it to last longer. I wonder if this applies to a CPU?

This is not directed at you but that sounds like the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, a CPU is not a car. The throttling lets the cpu run cooler and at lower speeds, if anything it will prolong its life. It is probably especially useful if you leave your system on 24hrs a day and stays idle over night or something like that. Not like it matters though we will all replace our CPUs far before the damn thing dies anyway. I have run some benches with throttling enabled and didnt see any loss in performance. I just keep it disabled because when I am running numerical computations I want to know exactly what OC I am running at the moment.

Last edited:
reddragon72 said:
Sorry but it was supposed to come out funny, and it didn't. Sorry I will try harder next time. I was just poking fun at the whole up down idle thing, and my applies to CPU line didn't come out as good as I thought it did.

But at least I didn't put a new IPhone in a blender.
http://www.willitblend.com/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=iphone

holy ****! LOL I am surprised the screen remained working for that long!

Back