• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Outside problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nvidiaOCmaster

For about a year now, every time it storms(sometimes even when it doesn't) my internet cuts out. It will connect for 1,2,10,30 or any other seconds then disconnects for any amount of time; sometimes only seconds, sometimes hours.

I call verizon to come fix it at least 5 times a month; every time, it works about 5 days after they do whatever, then it rains and stops working.
(they do it across the street at the box)
When they fix it, I am told this won't happen again: dog-sh*t; it still does it.

I've ruled out inside problem, I rewired the phone lines in the house twice and it still doesn't work; same problem. They went over the wiring in the house last time and it is all good but they keep telling me its an "Inside Problem"(I've also gone through the entire house and replaced all phone line equipment jacks, wire, PHONES, filters)

I've done power cycles, rewiring, moving the modem and router, different cables, different computers directly linked to the modem, brand new filters and everything else.

anyone have any ideas? we are under contract so its too hard to cancel service and as far as I know verizon is the only high speed in the area. This problem is killing me and I am sick of dealing with verizon noobs so I hope someone here has some suggestions, all are appreciated.

nvidiaOCmaster said:
For about a year now, every time it storms(sometimes even when it doesn't) my internet cuts out. It will connect for 1,2,10,30 or any other seconds then disconnects for any amount of time; sometimes only seconds, sometimes hours.

I call verizon to come fix it at least 5 times a month; every time, it works about 5 days after they do whatever, then it rains and stops working.
(they do it across the street at the box)
When they fix it, I am told this won't happen again: dog-sh*t; it still does it.

I've ruled out inside problem, I rewired the phone lines in the house twice and it still doesn't work; same problem. They went over the wiring in the house last time and it is all good but they keep telling me its an "Inside Problem"(I've also gone through the entire house and replaced all phone line equipment jacks, wire, PHONES, filters)

I've done power cycles, rewiring, moving the modem and router, different cables, different computers directly linked to the modem, brand new filters and everything else.

anyone have any ideas? we are under contract so its too hard to cancel service and as far as I know verizon is the only high speed in the area. This problem is killing me and I am sick of dealing with verizon noobs so I hope someone here has some suggestions, all are appreciated.

I had the same issue. The copper in my neighbourhood is OLD, so when it rained we lost our internet. At first we thought it was a wiring fault in our house. But it works fine now. The problem was one of those black boxes on the wire itself in our backyard and down the street. We had reported SERIOUSLY bad crosstalk between the lines (we essentially had a party line because of it) and they came out to fix it.

But they also didn't fix it the first time. They 'fixed' it about 10 times over 7 years and kept on blaming my wiring. Finally they came one day and replaced it, and it was fixed.

If they keep insisting that this is a problem of internal wiring, there is an easy way to make them realize its their problem (or prove that it is indeed your wiring somehow). The next time the internet goes out, connect your DSL modem to your house's demarcation box. This box is the point that your house's internal wiring meets the telcos's wiring and will give some force behind any statement as to whose wiring is at fault. If you can get a connection through that box on a normal day but loose it when raining, then its almost assuredly their fault and may make them reassess what needs repaired.

JigPu

I agree with JigPu totally. The dmarc is the dividing point between inside and outside wire, and is the only place you can prove which is to blame.

For reference, I attached a pic of the most common dmarc box.
It's held shut by a single screw (phillips usually), the security screw is their side and should NOT be opened/messed with. It hides what you see in the right side of the pic, their incoming wiring and the blue lightening protectors.

Long story short, if it still fails when it's plugged into the live DSL feed jack (one of the blue arrowed jacks), there's no doubt it's an outside problem.
Your phones in the house won't work when you unplug the black wire from the dmarc jack...just so you know. That black wire feeds all of your house wiring (and disconnects it all too).

You can tell the repair operator that you tested this, it's perfectly legal, that's what it's there for--that's why the box is built this way.

NIDinside1.JPG

This same test btw works for normal phone troubles like static on the line too...it's the first thing the phone repair person will do to locate trouble too.

Last edited:
my box was similar, there was only one jack i could use though. didnt work there either. its working okay now, whenever it rains again I am going to call verizon and show the guy that I was right...over and over again..

Its really sad when the teenager who doest know **** about this kind of stuff could tell the guy who has been doing it for years what was wrong.

The "comes and goes" problems were the hardest to find when I worked for AT&T (the old, the original, the way better than SBC one).
The customer calls to complain about static, and of course it was sunshining when I arrived and the static was gone....what a pain to get it nailed down and fixed.
Sometimes the meter would show it, and sometimes it wouldn't (and it's not a cheap meter either--~$650 out of MY pocket).

Kind of glad for you that it acted up when it's plugged in out there. Nothing more embarrassing than eating crow for hagging your own inside wire....:D

And yeah, should've mentioned that the box is modular...1-6 modules/phone numbers.

Last edited:
I am not even bothering with it anymore. Google search shows that its a huge problem with a lot of people, i am going to start looking for better service, but afaik I cant get anything else in my city besides cable and verizon DSL. Can I have cable internet without paying for cable TV?

It would depend on your cable provider. I know that around here (South Florida) Comcast offers an internet-only plan. We've stuck with Bellsouth/AT&T dsl as I'm a little wary of the mysterious random outages when we had them for cable TV though.

Don't give up on it, bud.
It's a service you pay for, make them make it right.

Does your local TV news have a consumer complaints reporter?
A call from them always makes a service manager break out in a sweat....it lets them know someone besides the lowly sheep paying them is watching.

Back