• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

360 fan mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fl0w

Found this on another forum:
cimg0071oz8.jpg

cimg0070ls4.jpg

he has a PSU rigged up to power the fans

how realistic is it to do practically the same thing, only self power the fans with a battery? A 9v battery is too much for 2 80mm, no?

Looks to me to be the same basic principal as the intercooler and it has caused a lot of problems, it actually made my system HOTTER and begin to overheat where it never even came close to overheating without it.

I think the BETTER solution would be to use a laptop/notebook cooling pad

FudgeNuggets said:
I think the BETTER solution would be to use a laptop/notebook cooling pad

as in just sitting it on top of the pad? I can't picture it

I think the best solution...if cooling and not LED lights are your concern is to let Microsoft fix it...I mean you did spend $400 on the thing....they just extended their warrenties to 3 years....if it tanks let them fix it with the newer cooling parts their putting in repairs and probably soon new xbox's.

as for running fans on a battery that battery will be dead in nothing flat. I did it last summer I cobled up a 80mm fan to one of those square smoke detector batteries....forget the voltage off hand...and it worked...but it killed the battery in about 15mins.

fl0w said:
as in just sitting it on top of the pad? I can't picture it

Exactly, the 360 has air vents on every side except for the side the hard drive attaches to, so the laptop pad lowers the ambient temp around the 360 which means cooler air gets ducted into it. This process works where as trying to suck the hot air out of the back like the guy with the LEDs and the Intercooler just makes things worse because it is not allowing hot air to escape out the bottom, side and top vents and is sucking it over the GPU which is located right next to the fans and the GPU is what is putting out the heat anyway, not the CPU, and then forcing it out the back of the unit.

http://xbox360.qj.net/Keep-Your-Xbox-360-Cool-as-a-Cucumber/pg/49/aid/12932

Yea thats the 9volt I was talking about. So scratch that idea.

I'm not even too worried about the heat. I haven't had any issues yet, and the owner of it before he sold it to me never had any issues. We both are careful about keeping it well ventilated. I just feel like modding something :X

It might be more ascetically pleasing to mount some 40mm fans inside the case, and draw your voltage right from the unit's internal power. It would keep them out of site, and w/ 40mm fans you won't have a huge amperage draw.

Back