• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed in creating stock level sheet/database

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bixit_62

Hi

I need to help my dad make some sort of a stock record database for his work. (its a small business so they cant really afford to pay someone thousands of pounds to make a bespoke system!)

basically, the business produces nuts, in various sizes.

in the workshop there will be a computer. on this computer will be entered stock levels for each DIFFERENT SIZE of nut.

in the office will be another computer and what we are trying to do is devise a system by which, when the stock level is edited on the computer in the workshop it is shown on the computer in the office too. (computers will be networked by the way)

now, the problem i have is the following:

it is really easy to set up an excel spreadsheet, however, i dont think (over a network anyway) that a file can be edited by TWO users. my understanding is that if one use has the file open, it cannot be edited by another user, only read (in read-only mode)

my other thought was of using some sort of database. however, i know nothing of databases!

there are over 200 different sizes, for which there has to be a SEPERATE sheet/record showing stock level, description, type, date in/out, name of person who signs stock out.

can anyone help me with this? or point me in the direction of a guide or something that will?

just making an excel spreadsheet edit-able by more than one user may be enough, but of course, the change wont show on other computer unless the person opens it up again!

is it possible to produce something like this? would be great if the gurus of ocforums could help!

thanx

Do they have Access? I think small business or pro versions of Office come with that (it's a simple database thingy).

Will works much better then Excel (although crappier then other databases, you don't need much more for a small company - now, if suddenly this company starts suppling nuts to all of NA, then you may have some issues =P).

hey

yeah,we've got fully blown versions of office 2003 (the professional editions)

i'm having a look around at mySQL and if i can get that working to how i want it, it would be fantastic.

any ideas on this?

thanx

Back