• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need opinions on possible WC setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neonlazer

I plan to get a Q6600 and keep my 7900gtx...and a Gigabyte P35-D3SR mb.

RAD: Black Ice XtremeIII Radiator(plan to mount on top of case(outside) like bobcatdan
CPU: DD TDX Socket 775
GPU: DD Koosah(most likely thing to change cause it isnt cheap but ive heard it runs better than gpu block + memory heatsinks)
PUMP: Elheim 1250(317Gal/H is very good as far i have seen or 1200l/hr)
DD Fillport

Im still wondering if i should or dont need a waterblock for chipset..it isnt very expensive but it might hurt water circulation some...but then again pump is very powerful as far as i know...opinions?

ive got my nb water cooled :/ but only my nb and cpu, i dont see why not, keep the noise down if it has a fan on it?

What are your goals for this system, neonlazer? What's your noise tolerance like, and would you sacrifice 1c or so to make the machine quieter?

Thats definately possible with this setup I wouldnt use a NB chipset either as your pump doesnt have huge amounts of head pressure and NB blocks are very restrictive.

neonlazer said:
I plan to get a Q6600 and keep my 7900gtx...and a Gigabyte P35-D3SR mb.

RAD: Black Ice XtremeIII Radiator(plan to mount on top of case(outside) like bobcatdan
CPU: DD TDX Socket 775
GPU: DD Koosah(most likely thing to change cause it isnt cheap but ive heard it runs better than gpu block + memory heatsinks)
PUMP: Elheim 1250(317Gal/H is very good as far i have seen or 1200l/hr)
DD Fillport

Im still wondering if i should or dont need a waterblock for chipset..it isnt very expensive but it might hurt water circulation some...but then again pump is very powerful as far as i know...opinions?
For the GPU you might want to consider the Swiftech MCW60 and RAMCool. Not only is it ~$30 less than the Koosah but the MCW60 isn't specific to the 7900 GTX so it could be used on another card in the future (IIRC - there are even adaptor kits for the 8800). The RAMCool is good for almost all of the 7-series nVidia cards and some of the 6-series as well ...

neonlazer said:
Noise isnt too big of a concern...my goals..umm...if i get a E6850 overclock it to 4ghz or Q6600 to 3ghz? =P
I don't know much about the WC equivalent of the cherry bomb muffler, but if you're going for performance, why not get the D5/MCP655? It' has more head and your PSU isn't likely to notice the extra 20 watts.

neonlazer said:
This is basically a matter of preference. High-end heatpipe coolers like the Thermalright HR-05 (about 20 bucks) are more than enough cooling as long as you have a little air flowing through your case. OTOH, there are also some chipset blocks that cause very little restriction, the pumps we use these days have a lot more head than the aquarium pumps of the bad old days, and flow doesn't make that much difference to modern blocks. So you can go either way provided you can find good parts that fit your board. You probably will want to replace the stock chipset sink, though. Some motherboards come with cooling for the chipset that will keep an overclocker happy without making him bleed from the ears, but most don't.

Back