• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8KHA+, can't get to 160fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bakeman

I can get to 155, but not to 160.

I have 2 chips of 256mb crucial Ram... could having 2 chips in there hold me back?

I have a US Robotics 56k modem, Aopen 10/100mbps NIC, SB LIve 5.1, and a Geforce 3. Could any of these cards possibly be holding me back as well?

Also I do have an Enermax 350watt, which I hear are bad for Epox boards. Could this be the problem?

I also have SK6 w/Ys-Tech 7000rpm

Anyways any suggestions??

Thanks for the help guys..

I guess you are lowering the cpu multiplier to keep it at a speed you know it works at?
Are you running the memory at the 2/3 setting in the bios?

Have you tried upping the memory voltage?

Is it not loading Windows or not POSTing?

Give us a quick rundown of what you have everything set at so we can see where your wall might be. Give us voltages, multipliers and stuff.

well I tried it at 160 x 7.5 to keep the 1.2ghz's

I tried the voltage on the Cpu up to +.1
and I didn't change the voltage on the Ram... when I first got the board it was default to +1 I left it there..

I set the memory settings to normal
cas 2.5

need more info let me know..
it's late and right now I'm lazy to go back through everything I did.. but that is the most of it

+0.1 which is to say only 2.6v for vdimm so i don't think it's enough for 2 stick of 256 ram, maybe you can you try up it to 2.8v or even 2.9 & also what's the agp driving control in the bios? My GF3 need CA to run stable @ 166MHz FSB, default is DA but no go so maybe you can also try that too?

take out every pci card,and i bet you get well over 160, NIC is usually the first to hold you back, also use just one stick as 2 will also hold you back, if you get farther with one stick sell the 2 and get a single 512. And well rejoice when ur at 166 or more

My 8KHA+ required pouring 3.0V to the memory before it would run stable at 160MHz so I'd say you're going to need more too.

I'm only running one stick as well but I've got two sticks of Crucial in my 8K7A+ running at 166MHz with 2.9V through it.

okay.. well I wasn't sure about the voltage to the RAM

and I have not one clue about the driving control.. it is set to default which is DA.. but I don't know the different settings..

I've actually never seen anyone talking about it.. that I can remember atleast.

thanks for the help guys..
I'm pretty sticking busy this week (moving, finals, etc..)
so it'll probably be a while before I can get around to playing with it all again.

Seriously doubt it.

You have to be careful when messing around with that. There's only a couple of settings you can use with that card to begin with...I've got one in my file server and I just leave it at auto. Think EA is about the only other setting known to work with it.

RyE said:
Would changing the driving contorl thing help me get higher fsb with my Geforce256?

I'm not sure what driving control best suit gf256, i do own gf256 long ago but never happen to try the agp driving control, so just to say that i can't really help much.:)

Anyway i'm now @ 169 * 10.5 whereas previously only max 160~161, simply becos i set agp driving control to CA, try DA again no go so will stick to CA & also i set "Dram Queue Depth to 3 level" so now stable @ 169 * 10.5, bty @ 3 or 4 not much difference but what really gain is my athlon xp w/ 8kha+ is much more stable @ higher FSB w/ the aforementioned setting in bios, "CA & Dram Queue Depth 3 level".:)

I've taken 1 pic for the FSB of 169, highest is 176 to windows but not stable, so some might think & wanna ask what's the advantage for me @ Driving Control @ CA & Dram Queue Depth 3 level? the advantage is less heat on my 2x Crucial 256 CL/2.5 simply becos i don't have to set 3.1~3.2v for vdimm, 3.0v is more than enough @ 169 MHz FSB.:D

169.gif

Yeah but thats as3, when your at cas2 it will be faster even st 140FSB or lower, setting it to Cas with the voltage up a bit will make big dividends, just cool your DIMMS, or if you don't want your ram that far out of spec use the new Beta BIOS.

This has a 3/4 Ram Divider.

SO at 200FSB your Ram will be 150FSB, good if your chip is locked.

Hi nick_cw,

I'm not using cas2.5, i'm using cas2 & most of the setting are max out in the bios except Dram Queue Depth = "3 level" Dram Act to PreChrg CMD = "6T" & Dram Command Rate = "2T" i tried to set Dram Command Rate to 1T using wpcredit becos the bios setting for Dram Command Rate will always @ 2T even if set to 1T so i just use wpcredit to change the registry but this only work on bank 0/1 & 2/3, as for 4/5 it doesn't work but then again my 8KHA+ DIMM 1 spoil already, not working anymore on DIMM 1 so only choice are DIMM 2 & 3 which is bank 2/3 & 4/5, but this 8KHA+ won't allow to change Dram Command Rate @ 2T for bank 2/3 & 4/5, any change will cause the system to restart or lockup, so no choice just to stay @ "Dram Command Rate of 2T".:)

Cheers!

Omron.

What are your memory scores with the queue level depth at 3 though? I'm curious as to how much of a performance hit it takes.

Jon said:
What are your memory scores with the queue level depth at 3 though? I'm curious as to how much of a performance hit it takes.

The difference between Queue Depth of 3 & 4 is insignificant, i'll post pic to shown you the difference using sandra memory mark if i have time, maybe later tonight or tomorrow but not for the moment.;)

Anyway just hope i can post screen & to windows @ 169 * 10.5 of dram queue depth of 4 w/o lockup cause ambient temp is is rising up bit by bit.:D

Omrons.

Ok Jon,

Here's the difference between 3 & 4, seem to be not even 1%, but still can't use queue depth 4, max is 3 @ 169 FSB.:burn:

queuedepth.gif

Too bad can't try Dram Command Rate of 1 when using bank 2/3 & 4/5, will remove 1 stick from bank 4/5 & test what's the very difference if i have the time.:p

Apologize for the 169 FSB that i mentioned, in this post only, it's actually @ 168 FSB, @ queue depth of 4 i didn't set to AGP 2X so simply just switch to 168 FSB but forgotten to mention the change of of FSB that i use to bench the memory performence.:D

Cheers!

Omrons.

Last edited:
What memory are you using?

With 3sticks of Crucial I can hit 155FSB @ Cas2 or if I up the voltage to 3V hit 170, If I try 3.2V then 180FSB's there, my score was 1200/1000 in Sandra (unregistered not "wacky" pro version!!!!)

Now that was beating the P4's!!! I love my Epox!

Oh yeah download the latest BIOS update, its even faster!

nick_cw,

I'm using 2 sticks of Crucial 256, ever tried 3 stick @ max FSB of 160, but since the DIMM 1 already spoil so only using DIMM 2 & 3 @ present.

BTY, below pic shwon is @ 168 FSB @ dram queue depth of 3 using Sandra2001 TE.:)

te.gif

Back