• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1080p needed? Or 1080i will suffice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreePinG_DeatH

I am still contemplating which LCD monitor to get for my college apartment to use as a TV and a PC Monitor.

Will 1080P be worth the added costs? The university cable doesn't have HDTV programming and I am not positive if I will get an XBox360. Do you think I will see any gains of getting a 1080P tv over 1080i?

That article was submitted back in July 4, 2006. Alot has changed since then. Simple put, go with the 1080p, especially if you plan on using it as a PC monitor.

Mpegger said:
That article was submitted back in July 4, 2006. Alot has changed since then. Simple put, go with the 1080p, especially if you plan on using it as a PC monitor.

How can a lot change in a year when the standard hasn't changed since it was set years ago??

For monitors, if it can display 1080 lines of vertical resolution, it can do both 1080i and 1080p. It just depends on the source signal.

Here's more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720p

HTH

BossBorot said:
1366 x 768 sucks horribly for a computer monitor especially on a big tv.

I have a 50" plasma, 720p native, hooked up to a Radeon 9800XT running 1366x768 in my living room. I can say for sure, it doesn't 'suck horribly' while watching HD content. 480i stuff looks great too!

drshivas said:
I have a 50" plasma, 720p native, hooked up to a Radeon 9800XT running 1366x768 in my living room. I can say for sure, it doesn't 'suck horribly' while watching HD content. 480i stuff looks great too!

What about computer stuff...?

Alot has changed as in the prices of 1080p units have come down significantly since that time. There are alot more manufacturers coming out with various models, getting into price wars behind the scenes vying for consumers money. There are alot more sources available in 1080p format as well. Computers now a days can handle 1080p resolutions in both everyday applications and gaming. Gaming systems as well as HD video formats are also supporting 1080p.

Larger screen sizes have also come down in price as well. Larger screens = larger pixel sizes. The higher the resoution, the smaller the pixels, the less jaggedness. Your also "future proofing" yourself with a 1080p set, as cost for production and equipment to capture at those resolutions, will continue to come down.

And I do know well enough how each format works. I dont need wikipedia articles dumbing things down for me and boring me to death with stuff I already know and understand. (Not a big fan of wiki's.)

However, re-reading the original posters question, I'd suggest just sticking with whatever TV you have, save the money, and shop around after 2009 once NTSC is shut off. Even though manufacturers souldnt be making any NTSC tv sets anymore, once the change over is "official", the prices of HDTVs sould go down even further. Any additions to the transports for 1080p sould also be finalized by then, so HDTVs manufactured after then sould support them all, although I believe most will be supported with external hardware (cable/satellite boxes) while internally the HDTV will remain the same.

drshivas said:

The TV is in the living room, with a 7-9 foot viewing distance. Even at 1366x768 I turn on large fonts and tweak the appearance so it's easier to read. A 1080p set will definitely rock in the future.

I also have a Wii hooked up to the same set. That can only do 480p, but has a feature to stretch to 16x9.

Mpegger said:
Alot has changed as in the prices of 1080p units have come down significantly since that time. There are alot more manufacturers coming out with various models, getting into price wars behind the scenes vying for consumers money. There are alot more sources available in 1080p format as well. Computers now a days can handle 1080p resolutions in both everyday applications and gaming. Gaming systems as well as HD video formats are also supporting 1080p.

Larger screen sizes have also come down in price as well. Larger screens = larger pixel sizes. The higher the resoution, the smaller the pixels, the less jaggedness. Your also "future proofing" yourself with a 1080p set, as cost for production and equipment to capture at those resolutions, will continue to come down.

And I do know well enough how each format works. I dont need wikipedia articles dumbing things down for me and boring me to death with stuff I already know and understand. (Not a big fan of wiki's.)

However, re-reading the original posters question, I'd suggest just sticking with whatever TV you have, save the money, and shop around after 2009 once NTSC is shut off. Even though manufacturers souldnt be making any NTSC tv sets anymore, once the change over is "official", the prices of HDTVs sould go down even further. Any additions to the transports for 1080p sould also be finalized by then, so HDTVs manufactured after then sould support them all, although I believe most will be supported with external hardware (cable/satellite boxes) while internally the HDTV will remain the same.

I inserted the wiki links for more background for the OP. But anyway, I agree with the prices coming down, better tech, more sources, i.e. Xbox 360, etc.

OP, here's a great resource to research the monitor / TV you're looking to purchase, and to get more background info:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php

if you plan on using the monitor as a PC monitor (ie you dont have a "normal" pc monitor) i would suggest a 1080p tv.... and make sure it ACCEPTS 1080p signals through a HDMI port... i got my htpc and my 7600gt running to my 62inch dlp running @ 1920x1080 but its only 1080i and the text flickers a lil bit, but movies and hd content looks bloddy fawkin amazing.

Back