• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra simple fan controller....anyone can do it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sam__

This is my attempt at a tutorial on how to make a fan controller.
I dont have a degree in a electronics...or even an A level in it.
I am a normal pc enthusiast (if there is such a thing) who is a bit short of cash and wants a fan controller.
So i thought id make one and tell you all how i did it.

Its basically just a switch that changes from the 12v to the 5v rail and back.

What you need:
1. A molex through connector,
2. A pair of scissors/wire strippers,
3. A solder iron,
4. Some solder,
5. A SPDT (single pole double throw) switch.
6. Heatshrink/ Insulation tape

Before any cutting or soldering. A very crude wiring diagram that i did in paint.

12-5-1.jpg

1.Cut the yellow 12v wire half way between the connectors and strip it down about 3mm. As i dont have any wire strippers i like to use scissors as opposed to a knife 'cos i find it easier and more accurate.

P1010054.jpg

2.Solder one of the outside pins on the switch to the yellow wire coming from the female molex.

P1010055.jpg

3.Cut the red wire off as close to the male molex connector as you can.

P1010059.jpg

4.Solder the red wire to the other outer pin on the switch.

P1010061.jpg

5.Take the other yellow wire and solder it to the centre pin on the switch.

P1010065.jpg

6.check your soldering is solid and plug your fan/s into it. Also i would advise covering the soldering with heatshrink or insulation tape to make sure you dont short anything else in the case.

UglyChild said:
If you have a glue gun, then you can use it instead of electrical tape.

P1010068.jpg

This is probably the cheapest fan controller you can make.

If you dont want to open your case every time you want to change the speed of your fan then you could mount it on a bay cover pretty easily usil=ng a drill a file and some screws.

The number of watts or amps it can take is all down to what switch you get but I presume most switches will be able to take quite a few fans.

Thanks for reading, all suggestions and ideas are very welcome.

Sam.

jrafael said:
Have a look at this guides:

Variable Speed Fan Controller
http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/213/1

Voltage Control by Rheostat
http://www.cpemma.co.uk/rheo.html

Adjustable Linear Regulators
http://www.cpemma.co.uk/reg.html

The Diobus
http://www.cpemma.co.uk/sdiodes.html

Simple DIY fan switch (based on The Diobus)
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums...ic.php?t=17725

Last edited:
Very nice. Is there any specific website where you can get those switches? I also think this type of mod can be done with dials and stuff, right?

freakdiablo said:
Very nice. Is there any specific website where you can get those switches? I also think this type of mod can be done with dials and stuff, right?

I nabbed mine from my school lol...but im sure you can get them from any retailer.....there nothing special....just a SPDT (single pole double throw) switch.

If ur talking about variable resistors im not sure.....you may have to ask one of the techies that. but in theory if you got the right one then it should work.

Radioshack will have a variety of SPDT switches.

Nice tutorial. I hadn't thought about doing that, but it's a very simple, elegant solution and it IS very inexpensive. You're looking at maybe a couple of bucks for the switch, and if you want to use screws to attatch it to your case, they're extremely cheap as well. A few pennies at a hardware store, practically free at the quantity of two.

Nice job. If you wanted more variation in speed you could replace the switch with a potentiometer which is basically a variable resistor.

UglyChild said:

good idea....ill edit that in l8er.

..just make sure the switch breaks the connection before it makes the next connection.. Played around with a similar switch once, and it didn't. Nice spark and a blown powersource..

ouch...i tested it for a bit and it seems to be fine....my pc is sitting at home now with it in and im at work...oh god.lol now im worried.

Sam__ said:
ouch...i tested it for a bit and it seems to be fine....my pc is sitting at home now with it in and im at work...oh god.lol now im worried.
I think what Veland means is that some switches make connection to one circuit before disconnecting from the previous one when switching. You would only have to worry when flipping the switch, and I guess you would have found out about any problems when testing it.

freakdiablo said:
I think what Veland means is that some switches make connection to one circuit before disconnecting from the previous one when switching. You would only have to worry when flipping the switch, and I guess you would have found out about any problems when testing it.

oh...ok...few lol thanks for that. saved me some worry.

some very nice guides there jrafael.

Edit: wooot 5 stars :beer:

Never mind, I got the connections confused in my mind. (I had written about the controller actually being a 12v/7v circuit).

Last edited:
lol...tell me more about the 7v trick i did not know it.

The 7-volt trick is to switch the wires on a molex so that the current flows from +12v to +5v, and since 12 - 5 = 7, it applies 7v across the fan. You can do it by swapping the ground (black) and 5v (red) wires on a female molex connector that you'll plug a fan into. Note that unless you know which ground wire is used by the fan, you'll have to switch both, or risk a short that will blow your PSU.

UglyChild said:

Good job btw. Very simple mod.
Heat shrink tube

Attachments

• Heat Shrink.jpg
    Heat Shrink.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 587
Back