• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a special hs.. help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

OK well im on a quest for a passive pc... im getting there but temps on my undervolted p4 2.0a are a lil high, im wondering if anyone knows where to find quite tall, big spaced fin aluminum almost industrial heatsinks?

Thanks
ben

i would buy a ninja... but i want this thing to be as cheap as possible... heck if i can raid a specific item for a hs like this i would be in heaven!

Cheap and passive don't seem to go hand in hand...

Look into those Dell heatsinks, they go for like $10 and are like mini-Ninjas. Doubt they'd be big enough though...

aaa said:
Cheap and passive don't seem to go hand in hand...

Look into those Dell heatsinks, they go for like $10 and are like mini-Ninjas. Doubt they'd be big enough though...

hmm i kno theres probably industrial hs's outthere that would be perfect.... google time.

how about a U-90 passive? Mine runs passive on my overclocked Pentium D 24/7 with temps never exceeding 59C @ 1.4V and 2.9ghz. Occasionally I turn the fan on, but not normally.

I use my own custom mounting though; could have something to do with it. go to ace hardware, get some screws, and some springs. Use an old backplate if handy.

what about xp-90 or xp-90c? not really "big spaced fin" type but pretty massive and natively s478.

mcoleg said:
what about xp-90 or xp-90c? not really "big spaced fin" type but pretty massive and natively s478.

Those are not very effective in a passive setup, but great performers for active cooling.

nd4spdbh2,

Can you post a picture of your system that you want this passive cooler to go into? That way we could give you advice as far as heat convection, fin orientation, and whatnot. Also, will this not even use rear fan or fan-equipped PSU?

I know you alreay mentioned expenses but the Scythe Ninja is very hard to beat, in my opinion, if you really want to go fanless; unless you are going to have this setup lay horizontally, hence my request for a picture.

bryan d

bryan_d said:
Those are not very effective in a passive setup, but great performers for active cooling.

nd4spdbh2,

Can you post a picture of your system that you want this passive cooler to go into? That way we could give you advice as far as heat convection, fin orientation, and whatnot. Also, will this not even use rear fan or fan-equipped PSU?

I know you alreay mentioned expenses but the Scythe Ninja is very hard to beat, in my opinion, if you really want to go fanless; unless you are going to have this setup lay horizontally, hence my request for a picture.

bryan d

ya ill get you guys a pic... as of right now the psu is not in the case (i wanted to test without any fans making airflow) but in the end i will also make the powersupply passive.

bryan_d said:

if it's completely passive (no airflow but the chimney effect), what he needs is a heavy brick of metal. the heavier the better, really.

I suggest using active cooling, but get a silent fan such as the 120mm Low speed Yate Loon...then do a 5v mod on it and it won't make a whisper at all I promise you!

Right now at full "Low" speed it doesnt make a noise at all.

mcoleg said:

xp-90 with a low speed fan like the one below that's 27 db (whisper is from 20-30 db) and reduce its speed to 70%. It will be totally silent yet it still moves a fair amount of air at 30 cfm, and will give you pretty good cooling.

fan:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1452/cpu-tri-13/Thermalright_XP-90_Intel_and_AMD_CPU_Heatsink.html

xp-90:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2472/fan-167/Panaflo_L1A_92mm_Fan.html?tl=g36c15s59

I could be wrong but I think he is wanting a 100% passive computer not because he is unaware of the absence of sounds in 5v loons, rather he is wanting the ability to say, "I have absolutely no fans in my computer."

Again, I could be wrong though. :)

ancalime said:
I could be wrong but I think he is wanting a 100% passive computer not because he is unaware of the absence of sounds in 5v loons, rather he is wanting the ability to say, "I have absolutely no fans in my computer."

Again, I could be wrong though. :)

You sir, have hit the nail on the head, i dont want necessarily a passive pc because of noise (thats one point of it, as i like my computers quiet, my rig in sig as 5 yate loons that almost all the time spend their life at 5v so its almost utterly silent... being only 2 feet away its quieter than my moms newer dell thats 10 feet away)

But i also want a passive pc because... well PASSIVE, no moving parts minus the hd type of thing.

I was looking around at industrial heatsinks, and i couldnt find one that was tall enough for my needs im looking for something that is about the width of the socket, but alot longer and about 6 inches tall with big fins spaced far apart....

heres some pics

P7110088.JPG

bottoms up!
P7110090.JPG

gfx card is a low profile gforce 4 mx 420, lower addon card is a NIC, board is some older intel board with amazing rambus technology. You guys think a Thermalright SI-120 will work better in a passive situation than the zalman.... guess theres only one way to find out... try it, ill report back later

oh man, that hard drive must drive you up the wall... what with no fans anywhere, that's the loudest part; annoying too.

suspend it or put it on some foam or this thing:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/pegviabbl.html may be?

of course, after you done with the drive the coil whine from the psu would just eat through your brain :p

what's the power consumption on that system? can you use a brick-type psu?

Heh glad I was correct. I understand because I had the same urge before, the idea is just really awesome. Good luck with your build.

Btw I am pretty sure you can find a used Ninja for pretty cheap. Try looking around classies on multiple forums and ebay.

ancalime said:
Heh glad I was correct. I understand because I had the same urge before, the idea is just really awesome. Good luck with your build.

Btw I am pretty sure you can find a used Ninja for pretty cheap. Try looking around classies on multiple forums and ebay.

i wish i could see the classies, but for some reason i cant, i use my ISP email, and i have WAY over 100 posts, maybe i should talk to SSS

Here is a thought:

4uuf13l.jpg

Passive PSU - FSP Zen 400
Passive Cooler - Scythe Ninja

The dotted yellow represents the intake that would have to be cut into your side panel. You will benefit greatly by efficiently routing air, and so make sure that air only enters through you assigned intake.

The dotted blue represents the "chamber" you could create to direct the air flow so that it can only enter through the intake and exit the top. The materials can range from plastic blister packs, or even those foam boards you can buy at art stores. In a way, it would be exactly like the "duct mod" featured on the front page.

The hard drive would sit perpendicular to the ground to create a side profile that can utilize the intake; same goes for the Zen 400.

With your use of low-profile AGP and PCI cards, convection will not be hampered too greatly.

You can opt, to not use a huge chimney to get some serious convection going, but for pure passive use, it would help you out greatly.

It is all crazy, I know, but if you wanna get ride of the fans, use natural convection instead. :)

bryan d

i looked, they don't have a ninja in classies.

oh heck... nd4spdbh2, where are you at? if in the states, pm me.

lol the good ole chimney... saw thoes on old apples a long time back.

good iders guys.

i think if i had a ninja i wouldnt even need a chimney cus this cpu doesnt get over 55*c loaded with my SI-120 on it with no fan.

Back