• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newb in need of help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nownot

hello. im getting my parts in this week for my new comp.

core 2 duo e6300
asus p5n-e
patriot pc6400 ram d9 chips
bfg 7900gs oc

i know old parts but good price and i read all of these parts overclock great. but that where im running into a problem. how do i overclock the ram and video card. i have a good idea on the cpu but no idea on ram or video card. if anyone has any input for a newb or experience with either one of these cards please let me know, thanks for any help.

:welcome:

OCing your GFX card is very simple IMO compared to CPU.

1. Read this sticky
2. Download ATI Tool (yes it works on nVidia)
3. Find your Max Core and Max Mem clocks seperately. Then test the 2 maxes together and back off till you don't get anymore artifacts :thup:

Quick & Dirty but that's about it.

thanks. what type of numbers should i be satisfied with on that particular card. i was looking there is a 1.5 volt mod out for the card ... should i do this? also with my cpu what speeds are realistic on stock cooling? and any info on ram is GREATLY appreciated. thanks for the help. :beer: :beer:

That card has a factory OC'd Core of 525MHz from 450 stock. The memory seems to be at stock 660MHz. With stock cooling you might get 550/775, hard to really say, maybe more? I never OC'd mine w/stock cooling, so you want to keep an eye on temps!! If you get a better cooler and you feel comfortable with doing a volt mod then go for it. 7900GS cards seem to respond very well to volt mods.

I'll let someone else share C2D OCing since I'm an AMD user and I still find OCing CPUs a bit confusing anyways :p Check out the Intel OC stickies!

Good luck.

I'm using the Zalman VF900, a very popular choice. Great cooler, quiet only takes space of one more slot etc... Don't bother with the fanmate controller if you get it. The other one to look for is the Thermalright HR-03. probably a better cooler but a real monster IMO. Not sure what the real temp difference would be but probably not much.

how hot is to hot, im doing test now w/ atitool and ts up to 80c. seems hot to me where should i be at with stock cooling? thanks.

this is from someone that's currently using onboard graphics so take it with a grain of salt. but i'm pretty sure 80c is really freakin hot.

nownot said:
how hot is to hot, im doing test now w/ atitool and ts up to 80c. seems hot to me where should i be at with stock cooling? thanks.

With stock cooling that sounds about right. Yes it's pretty freakin' hot but your probably OK as long as you don't get up to or over 90c IMO. Your card probably doesn't go into panic mode till well above 100c but I wouldn't even try to get close to that.

You really should get better cooling. Don't melt your card dude ;)

i agree... 90c is safe but pushing it... some cards run close to that with no OCing whatsoever... take the 8800's for example you wanna talk about some heat!

Back