• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rumor Or Joke: Is Samsung Eying AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Someone on another forum brought up the point AMD can't be bought out without loosing the x86 license if not mistaken.

It would be good for AMD to have a more stable company but loosing the licence basically puts them out of the competition for CPU's.

deathman20 said:
Someone on another forum brought up the point AMD can't be bought out without loosing the x86 license if not mistaken.

It would be good for AMD to have a more stable company but loosing the licence basically puts them out of the competition for CPU's.

You need a license to produce/manufacture CPU's ?

That x86 license agreement between Intel and AMD has always had me curious as to what the exact details of the agreement are. There must be something in there completely infalliable, unless we are supposed to believe that Intel actually wants AMD to be in business, even if crippled, just to avoid a technical monopoly. I don't see why they just don't revoke the license. Unless Intel's 64-bit is still based on AMD's AMD64. In which case I guess it could be a mutual revoke.

Sorin said:
That x86 license agreement between Intel and AMD has always had me curious as to what the exact details of the agreement are. There must be something in there completely infalliable, unless we are supposed to believe that Intel actually wants AMD to be in business, even if crippled, just to avoid a technical monopoly. I don't see why they just don't revoke the license. Unless Intel's 64-bit is still based on AMD's AMD64. In which case I guess it could be a mutual revoke.

Intel having a monopoly of the x86 market wouldn't be any different than Apple having a monopoly over the... well... "Apple" market I guess. So, if they wanted to nuke AMD, they sure wouldn't let the 64-bit thing stop them, if they were still using it, and I don't think they are. They would invent something new and drop the contract.

I think the reason is even simpler. AMD and Intel are like the modern democrats and republicans: There's virtually no difference between the two under the surface.

As I understand it AMD64 and Intel64/EM64T/IA-32e are essentially the same, save for mostly some architecture-specific instructions.

The "agreement" between AMD and Intel is more of a concession on the part of Intel in the face of legal verdicts (and unsucessful appeals) in AMD's favor.

Linky

That's not a path that Intel shareholders want to head down again.

Interesting the first company was on my which could/would buy AMD, and they are checking already ?

I doubt they move in till AMD stock goes phenomenally low.
Which actually puts Intel into an interesting position. Do too well and someone might buy AMD if the stocks hit rock bottom or give some air to AMD and be ready for a comeback.

Back