• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY Waterblocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Karnal

Im getting into watercooling for the first time and have been reading up on it a lot. Im very suprised not to see more home made waterblocks. I was wondering if someone explain why. Personally I think I have all of the tools that would be needed to create a waterblock for WAY under what is being charged for the retail waterblocks. I was also wondering if anyone could suggest a good place to find blueprints, or plans for homemade designs that people have created and can vouch for their effectiveness. Thanks.

WonderingSoul said:
That's an insane WB. Why suck tiny barbs though? :x

those were placeholders from a previous system. Initially I started with 3/8. Now everything is 1/2, just to make things simple and interchangeable between setups.

PCbench.jpg

if your reasonably skilled with powertools and can do some math, you can still do it yourself. I would have loved to do it but it came down to cost for tools ect and knowing what im doing heh.
People used to make em all the time, but with so many options out there, and even the cheapy ones performing decently, there is kinda no point unless your a machinist with nothing better to do or you just have to have somthing really custom.
I think prices are getting a little rediculous though. $70 for a fuxion? wtf. i remember when the top end Dangerden was like $40 TOPS. and you could get some decent maze styles for $20 or less.

:welcome: to the forum, Karnal. In olden times (maybe 4 years ago), there were a lot more posts about DIY waterblocks. But now there are several very well engineered blocks in mass production. The average DIY effort will not perform as well as these, and most people would rather spend $50 than take the time to machine their own anyway. I still think DIY is a viable option, though, especially for low-heat components and where no commercial designs will fit.

Thanks for the welcome, I was looking forward to building a pretty custom case/watercooling setup but after doing a little more research I am probly gonna end up with alot of off the shelf parts. Oh well.

Hey, just because the parts are available doesn't mean you've got to use them. :)

Still, for most folks, off the shelf parts are the best way to get started. (I was going to type, "get your feet wet," but hopefully that won't happen.)

COTS parts have definitely gotten worlds better in the past few years. Especially with guys like Joe C, Cathar, Eddie EK, Rokk (I know theres more of you, just shooting from the top of my head) all contributing to the commercial cooling market instead of just selling basement built hardware in small batches. The days of taking a neat idea, machining a piece of stock and hoping to match or beat off the shelf hardware are few and far between.

Were in the land of diminsihing returns boys. This horse has been riden hard. Though I'm sure there's still a few neat tricks out there to be exploited.

...and it will probably start with a basement built block.

Looks like im gonna go with some retail parts for my new rig, but im going to use my old one to try out some designs I have floating around in my head.

That waterblock would suffice but I have access to some high end machines to produce whatever it is I end up designing and that one looks a little rough to me.

Back