• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Data Corruption

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Solex

Registered
Hi,

Over the weeks i have been trying to find what component causes some of my system files to go missing (example) and semi lock up at startup/shutdown. I have tried changing the hard drives (even swap the cables & tried in different slots). The ram & cpu were tested with memtest (7 runs) and prime95 (25 hours) and produced no errors. There was nothing with the psu as i disconnected the power cables from the hhd's (except for the one that had winxp) & cd drives.

Then i thought it was a software problem so i used 3 antiviruses to check if my system had any viruses, all the results turn out it had nothing. Also i don't think i have been hacked since am using zonealarm.

If someone could help me with this problem, i would greatly appreciate it!

Solex

The PCIE setting is already set to 100 also the Northbridge over-voltage & Southbridge over-voltage is set to disable.

Solex - Does this happen in safe mode? Does all the hardware show up in the BIOS (like when you do a "del" when the system is loading up)?

At safe mode there were no lockups but the hardware tab in system properties is still missing.

All the hardware connected to my mobo showed up in the bios.

I have re-installed winxp several times and happens to be some sort corruption going on when the os is writing from the cd to hdd. i don't notice it until after a week or so when systems files start to disappear & slugish startup/shutdown occurs. This is why i think there a defect in one (or two) of my hardware or there is a setting in the bios that needs to be corrected.

djrussell said:
bios update maybe?

My bios version is 0404. i don't know if i should update it to 0701 as it only fixes fan readings & make cool & quiet work in vista...

Just an update.

After days of thinking of what part could cause my data to corrupt itself i decided to guess it could be the ram & the winxp disc. So i changed those & my system started to work with a few errors:). The only thing is to buy a new hhd since i can hear my 7 month old samsung drive starting to make noises due to major head crashes & flakiness from the corrupted data.

Back