• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where do you get your ideas ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asusradeon

Hi, just wondering where people get there ideas from of applications to try and develop.. i want something to work on but as usual i have no idea of anything to do...

Most of my ideas come from something that needs to be done, or something that would make my life a little easier. For example, I've been keeping track of my bank account inside an Excel spreadsheet. But I want to see stuff like how much gas did I use in May or how much did we go out to eat last month. So instead of sorting it and resorting it everytime I made a little program that I can press a button and it does it for me.

i suppose thats great if your an expirenced developer but im just learning i start an apprenticeship in a month where i will be getting proper training but im just trying to learn as much as i can until then...

I know exactly how you feel there. I have many long term goals in programming but in order to accomplish them it is best that I work on a lot of smaller projects. But, what projects to work on?

Usually what I do is just find some old videa/computer game I used to play when I was 12 and clone it.

Also, if you're looking to be a professional programmer, you could join an open source project. There are litterally thousands and many, many of them can use a little help. An open source project is the next best thing to actual on-the-job experience you can get in the software world.

Basically, just find something you want to program and program it. Programming classes can give you some assignments but the programs they have you do are usually ridiculously easy. There are some sites that will let you do freelance programs for money, but those usually take a lot more work and experience. So yes, for now, just program whatever comes to mind. :)

Hello, my name is William Gates, and I'd like to explain to you how I get my ideas.

First, I find something that I think is pretty cool. DOS? Holy crap! Intense! Commands that were words! FORMAT would FORMAT your drive, DIR would give you Directory Listings! CD would Change Directories! The thing was intuitive!

So I simply bought it out from underneath the original company for significantly less than what it was worth, and pushed a marketing deal with a company that could provide the installed userbase to make my software common.

This strategy has done me well, so well in fact that I no longer have to find hardware companies to sell my software, I simply do it myself!

Look at Windows Vista! Alot of the ideas from there are pretty much blatant rip offs from my buddy Steve Jobs and that Linus guy, but you know what? Who cares! It's not like I'm downloading their software and using it without paying a licensing fee. I'm borrowing their ideas and concepts and design philosophies, and implementing them in a way that is unique enough to be considered independent! Innovation is overrated anyway.

Then look at my latest idea! The Zune! that thing is awesome. I can share music with all my friends! I can watch movies! It's not just an Mp3 player! I can imagine a day when everyone whips out their Zune and says "Hey, lets share music so you can listen to it 3 times, and then when you do decide you like it, you can buy it from Microsoft!" It's innovation like that that shows how I get my ideas.

Remember, when you're looking for ideas, do three things.

1) Find someone who does something good
2) Implement it in a new and generally less effective way.
3) Push the product by using your virtual monopoly on the industry, or making a contract with a company with a virtual monopoly on an industry.

It's just that easy!

Elif Tymes said:
Hello, my name is William Gates, and I'd like to explain to you how I get my ideas.

First, I find something that I think is pretty cool. DOS? Holy crap! Intense! Commands that were words! FORMAT would FORMAT your drive, DIR would give you Directory Listings! CD would Change Directories! The thing was intuitive!

So I simply bought it out from underneath the original company for significantly less than what it was worth, and pushed a marketing deal with a company that could provide the installed userbase to make my software common.

This strategy has done me well, so well in fact that I no longer have to find hardware companies to sell my software, I simply do it myself!

Look at Windows Vista! Alot of the ideas from there are pretty much blatant rip offs from my buddy Steve Jobs and that Linus guy, but you know what? Who cares! It's not like I'm downloading their software and using it without paying a licensing fee. I'm borrowing their ideas and concepts and design philosophies, and implementing them in a way that is unique enough to be considered independent! Innovation is overrated anyway.

Then look at my latest idea! The Zune! that thing is awesome. I can share music with all my friends! I can watch movies! It's not just an Mp3 player! I can imagine a day when everyone whips out their Zune and says "Hey, lets share music so you can listen to it 3 times, and then when you do decide you like it, you can buy it from Microsoft!" It's innovation like that that shows how I get my ideas.

3) Push the product by using your virtual monopoly on the industry, or making a contract with a company with a virtual monopoly on an industry.

It's just that easy!

lol good way to put it !!

Elif Tymes said:

It's just that easy!

Thanks for the good lauge

back on topic

to the OP: I get my ideas from boredom or something that makes me mad like pop ups

i made a popup that is invisable and covers the entire screen... then i put it on a friends comp and woah!!! slews of curses ensewed until i told him "give me 20 mins and ill fix it"

Where do I get my ideas? I dunno, I just have too many of them. I can barely fill the time to complete them. I still have a large unfinished project, a middle sized one, and a couple small ones.
I guess I got used to just looking at all the code with the programmer's eye.
Example:
"Wow, EVGA contest. What if I make a program that telnets to their site through port 80, and then gets the HTML codes and looks for ribbons instead of me?"
"Wow, This looks like a cool game effect (One of my guys showed me like an explosion with fragments). Looks like I will try it out at home and then try to phase it into my game".

Back