• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help networking a printer...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

I really dont know what the problem is. I have 3 computers, all running WinXP Pro. I networked them to the printer, and all 3 computers were able to printer to the same printer. Computer A is the computer that has the physical connection to the printer, while computer B is able to print, and Computer C does not even detect the printer on the network. Computer C does detect another printer in the network.

At one time all 3 were able to print from this printer, but something happened where only computer A was able to print. I reinstalled Windows on computer A and C. Now computer A and B can print to the networked printer, and computer C cant, despite the Windows reinstallaion.

How can I fix this problem so that computer C is able detect the printer and to print the way computers A & B can? Is there some directory service or administrative service that needs to be adjusted? Please offer your advice!:bang head

Ensure all three are in the same workgroup. Check that the printer is shared and take note of the computer and share name. From the two networked systems, attempt to reach the printer using \\computername\printsharename in Explorer. Ensure all systems are using the same IP address scheme (same subnet). Check for any firewall-related issues (try disabling and printing). Enable File and Printer Sharing in IP properties (if not done so already).

That's a few things off the top of my head that you can check.

Jon said:
Ensure all three are in the same workgroup. Check that the printer is shared and take note of the computer and share name. From the two networked systems, attempt to reach the printer using \\computername\printsharename in Explorer. Ensure all systems are using the same IP address scheme (same subnet). Check for any firewall-related issues (try disabling and printing). Enable File and Printer Sharing in IP properties (if not done so already).

I agree 100%. Tried to see if I could say it better but I can't.

Jon said:

Hey, that was great advice! Turns out the workgroup on one computer had the workgroup name mis-spelled.

Thanks alot for the feedback!

Back