• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel earnings ahead of expectations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DavidJa

Intel CEO Paul Otellini's 2006 cost cuts, painful as they were for Intel employees, paid off Tuesday as the company's second-quarter profits rebounded compared with last year.

The chipmaker posted a 47 percent increase in net income during its second quarter, up to $1.3 billion or 22 cents per share. The Wall Street crowd had been expecting 19 cents per share. Intel said it had 90,300 employees during the second quarter, way down from the 102,500 employees it had at this time last year.

Revenue was also a little stronger than had been expected, up 8 percent to $8.7 billion compared with expectations of $8.5 billion. The stronger revenue growth came despite the continuing decline of Intel's average selling prices as a result of strong price competition with Advanced Micro Devices.

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9746169-7.html

traldan said:
Intel stock prices went down a bit after this news, oddly enough...perhaps influenced by the much lower profit margins despite the increased revenue.

Shareholders and investors are greedy unforgiving bunch, they want more, every year...

Brolloks said:
Shareholders and investors are greedy unforgiving bunch, they want more, every year...

Yep, just checked my dictionary, that is the definition or the meaning for the word "shareholder/investor" ! :D

traldan said:
Intel stock prices went down a bit after this news, oddly enough...perhaps influenced by the much lower profit margins despite the increased revenue.

Buy on the rumor, sell on the news.

It is very common for a stock to see a price bump (up) as they head into an earnings report that is expected to be positive. (More demand as speculators buy the stock hoping for a big price boost caused by the actual earnings report).

I bet Intel's Human Resources department is getting a lot of resumes from the folks at AMD!

man, this is great right now. But if (or 'when' for u pessimists) AMD goes under then it will suck balls for the consumer.

Yes it's not a good thing people that Intel are doing so well. Once AMD is pushed out the picture its a monopoly almost.

to ps2cho and Morvak: i'm not a shareholder, so i really don't care either way, but Intel doing well is a good sign for the whole industry. they sell most of the cpu's, so it shows that computer sales are still strong overall.

also, AMD doesn't need misguided charity. 1 or even 100 enthusiasts buying dirt cheap 3600+'s isn't helping them at all. it costs them just as much to make a 3600+ as it does to make an FX, so you can pretty much count on those being loss leaders for AMD. if you really want to help them out, go and buy the most expensive AMD cpu you can. those cheaper cpus might actually hurt them more than it helps them, profit wise.

Back