• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Germany Lend AMD $262 Million for Dresden Fab

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It may help the production for the plant, but at the rate AMD is going they aren't going to be able to pay it back :(

We will see, today they release the 2nd quarter's results, going to be interesting.
I wonder how do they plan to use the cash go straight to 45nm from 90nm then later convert the 65nm ? They barely moved to 65 and converting the rest should not cost that much.
Or go to 35nm from ASML. ;) LINK

Ever hear of the CC card trap where you get a card to pay off another? Then another card to pay off that one etc etc etc..

Thats what I feel AMD is doing..

This could be a good thing, like when the US government bailed out Chrysler in the 80s.

benbaked said:
This could be a good thing, like when the US government bailed out Chrysler in the 80s.
Yes, because ultimately helping out the auto industry (read: pension/healthcare providers who happen to sell a few cars) really worked out for US manufacturing. :rolleyes:

Very rarely do goverment bailouts and subsidies have any measurable impact in the near-long-term. Eventually capitalism catches up and the assisted companies die a natural death. Unless, of course, you're a member of a select few industries (such as passenger rail) which subsist soley on government handouts.

The AMD grant (not loan!) from the German government is par for the course in all industries. It's a signing bonus of sorts to ensure that AMD keep building fabs in Germany. This grant is unrelated to AMD's ongoing cash flow issues.

if i was a german citizen, i would not be too happy about this. this isn't the first large sum of money they have gotten from germany either.

Well regardless on how good/bad it is...let's hope AMD Utilizes the money WELL and actually does something worthwhile out of it! Otherwise it could quite possibly end AMD.

ps2cho said:
Well regardless on how good/bad it is...let's hope AMD Utilizes the money WELL and actually does something worthwhile out of it! Otherwise it could quite possibly end AMD.

I highly doubt that it can end AMD, but you are right, let's hope they utilize it well.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
if i was a german citizen, i would not be too happy about this. this isn't the first large sum of money they have gotten from germany either.

I am a german citizen, and from all the money germany throw's away, this at least, is something good.

ps2cho said:

I am quite sure they can only use this to improve and expand the fabs so it won't go to the wrong place.

back On Topic, the original INQ article says "€262 million". not familiar with the symbol, is that in pounds? American dollars?

hUMANbEATbOX said:
back On Topic, the original INQ article says "€262 million". not familiar with the symbol, is that in pounds? American dollars?

I assumed it was Euros since Germany is using the Euro.

Kuroimaho said:
I am quite sure they can only use this to improve and expand the fabs so it won't go to the wrong place.

Well what I am saying is that if the money is spent and nothing is achieved, then they just just a huge sum of money which in the current times that they are in, could take them under or force them to sell ownership.

AlabamaCajun said:
It is Euro, I swear I saw the US $ yesterday. €240 would be around $400US is I'm calculating it right!

The 262m€ would be 362,08m US$ after the current course.

at least that is around 1/11 of their current depts..

Back