• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

?? Ultra 120 with two fans ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nalco

Registered
I was thinking about trying to connect two fans to my Thermalright Ultra 120.

Is there anyone else out there with two fans connected to this thing? If so, whats the best way to connect the second fan? Zip ties?, Rubber bands?

Thanks!

What are you OC purposes? Are you doing some serious OC'ing like 500FSB and beyond and all that with like 1.5volts?

If not, just my 2 cents, don't bother putting a 2nd fan on there.

I have the Antec 900 and this same cooler along with the Scythe S-flex s fan attached, pointing vertically towards the rear exhaust.

Under load, my temps (including case) never hit above 48*c and my E6420 is Oc'd to 3.2ghz which is nothing but still....

Yes if you want to get the max out of the cooler you could do a push pull set up with two fans.:eek:

I have two fans zip tied to my U120. I can't say if there was a difference though because I changed cases and fans and a few other things all at one time. I had the extra fans so I figured I might as well do it.

I've never tried rubber bands, but I've seen posts about them getting dried out/heated up and losing their elasticity, then falling apart. I'm avoiding them myself.

I have an Ultra 120 Extreme, but looking at the dimensions on Newegg, it doesn't look like it's much different in size other than the extra heatpipes - and I use two Scythe S-flex "F" fans in a push-pull setup.

You can see it in the picture below, but I have it in vertical orientation with the two supplied clips on the "top" of both fans. I then daisy-chained the short zip ties I had laying around to connect the "bottom" of both fans together both on the near side and far side (can kind of see the nub sticking out down by the CPU socket):

HangFan.jpg

I have that extra fan hanging there because it won't fit on the mounting bracket on my 900 - the HS gets in the way - I just sawed out the brackets on the side panel so it would fit that way - I have more zip ties I'll be attaching that with soon.

Not sure if the 2nd fan has done much for temps - I didn't test it with just "push" fan on - that SilenX is pretty close to the backside anyway, but oh well - can't hurt!

Bassicaly thats how I did it when it was in my full tower. I zip tied the second one on... Coach's solution may be better.

Go for it, I had about 200 CFM over mine, and it was the only thing that could keep that E6600 stable at 3.6

Good luck with your efforts!

Back