• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H Client not happy on winxp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lennytiger

hey guys i have downloaded al the clients text and graphical none seem to work on any of my xp machines, it just stops responding and closes the program, any help would be appreciated by me and the team! ;)

Thanks Lenny

hmmm, i have it running on 6 xp machines and didn't do anything special. Try installing at as a service using firedaemon along with the instructions posted on the tips and tricks athttp://www.overclockers.ws

I suggest this because firedaemon will restart the service if it dies so this might help you.

good luck!! we'd love to have your xp machines folding :).

Edit: Oh firedaemon will crash after you activate the service, no matter it will still work :).

Lenny, if you are trying to run FAH with Seti as well it won't work properly because of the way they coded the Client it only takes like 4 % of you processor at most. That is if you are trying to run it with Seti. If you are doing otherwise let me know I will see what I can do.

J

WinXP

On my WinXP machine the 2.15 client runs fine, but I can't get it to accept my username and team number. If I delete all the files and start the client for the first time, it never asks me for my username or team number. So, if I shut down the client and edit the client.cfg file to reflect my username, etc, then when I restart the client it says no matching machine ID found and it downloads a new ID frrom the server, erasing the username I had saved. Any suggestions?

got it to work

Please ignore my question. I found the answer in an earlier question in this forum. Thanx speedj.

I was going to try an put a PC at work to work, but it didn't like it and refused to run it. It was a HP with WinXP, it wouldn't accept the username, nor the team number and after trying 2 or 3 times it would close. What was funny is when I started it up I think the pc's temp spiked as I could smell a cylinoid like smell. Wonder what cooler the system has on it, appearently not a good one. I was trying the graphical client. Oh wel I might try it again tomorrow. BTW why coudn't I find the RUNSERVICE Key in the Regedit?

I tried entering the sttring int he RUN key instead, while it started the program it also would close FAH after 2 or 3 attempts at entering the username and team number.

The ID is different from the username and is assigned by the server. That sounds normal for a first or second run of the client.
To run the client in config mode you need to run it with the -config flag. This can be done from a command prompt or by running the client from a shortcut. To run it in config mode from the shortcut first create a shortcut, then right click on it and click on properties. In the target window you will see the location of the client. at the end of that line you can add " -config"(no quotes, there is a space before the dash) and click OK. Then start the client with the shortcut and it will put you in config mode allowing you to configure the client.

<edit> This was for Kentucky Fried Bird and it was just a bit late I see :)</edit>

Last edited:
The older client people have told me will work on XP, but the new version doesn't work at all apparently can someone email me the older version as the new version is the only one available on the website.

Also, I run the seti screensaver and folding at the same time on my laptop (P3 850) it works fine! ;) Little slow, but the laptop uses so little power i can afford to keep it running!

I found an older copy of the client. I don't know which version, but I can almost guarantee that there will at least be checkpointing problems with it. Anyway. I zipped an old core_65 and console client. Click Here
I would copy them before doing anything else. These were released within the first week or two of the original client release, but they were updating quickly. Copies of both should be placed in your folding@Home directory. Good luck.. Hope it works.

OK I got the 2.12 console works fine! :) Thanx to all the made a download for the old version...

My 1.2GHz XP Box is folding now and results should go soon ;)

Glad its all working for you ok, I am going to have to mental note saving that 2.12 file if I need to format.

J

I think the problem with the graphical client and xp may be my Voodoo 3 it says in the help file they have problems with it.

The voodoo thing is true. I had a 4 4500-The gui version worked but full screen mode would crash it every time... and changed graphics cards(gf2, the voodoo bit the dust) and poof-no problem any more. It may just be the drivers for the card, but they're not exactly being updated either.

This is an interesting problem. I have version 2.15 running on two XP machines without any problem. One of my W2K machines choked on this version though, shutting down before completing a WU. I'm still not sure why, but the fix was to install it as a service, so that if it does shut down, it restarts automatically, as Lews suggested.

Back