• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finished putting my system together, and...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kinitex

Registered
asus PK5 motherboard
Q6600 cpu
8800 gtx
700 Watt XVS Modular PSU

On my first bootup nothing really happened. I hit the power everything powers on, all fans, hdds, vid card fan, etc... However I hear no loading sounds ever, and nothing ever appears on my screen it cant find a signal. Tried numerous times after and still no go.

I took everything out, all the ram, and left only the power to the mother board. Booted it up and didn't get a single beep. The only time I ever got a beep was when I would flip the switch on the power supply to shut it down it would give one quick beep thats it.

Is my motherboard DOA? any real way of testing?

Do you have the 8/4 pin connector plugged into the motherboard, it is seperate from the 24 pin and it is REQUIRED :beer:

:welcome: to the forums!!

Yes of course. Without that plugged in nothin turns at all. It seems everything is getting power and running but it just wont do any read/loading/POSTing. So its either the motherboard and could it be the cpu is dead? Would that prevent any loading to occur and being able to get into bios.

kinitex said:
Yes of course. Without that plugged in nothin turns at all. It seems everything is getting power and running but it just wont do any read/loading/POSTing. So its either the motherboard and could it be the cpu is dead? Would that prevent any loading to occur and being able to get into bios.
Yes, either the CPU or MB could be at fault, do you have another board you can try that processor in? Or a different CPU that you can put in that MB to test it?

Ensure that the RAM is properly pushed into the sockets. I have a lot of experience with building and even I sometimes mess up on that stage thinking it's fully in when it requires just a slight push more. Some motherboard's are awkward and the other end pops out when you push down the opposite side.

If you have the time, take everything out of the case and run it on a table.

ps2cho said:
Ensure that the RAM is properly pushed into the sockets. I have a lot of experience with building and even I sometimes mess up on that stage thinking it's fully in when it requires just a slight push more. Some motherboard's are awkward and the other end pops out when you push down the opposite side.

If you have the time, take everything out of the case and run it on a table.
Err..make sure it is a WOODEN table...a metal one would = very bad news.

Ok I purposely left a piece of ram not pushed in all the way to see if I could get this stupid thing to give me a beep. No go. Im pretty sure its the motherboard thats dead. When I power on everything starts running except the motherboard it does nothing no loading, posting, crap all. Im shipping it back and going out tomorrow to buy a P35-DS3R.

I checked the PSU on a different pc and it worked fine.

I've encountered this same problem on a few builds, it's either your motherboard or CPU. It sucks when you don't have spare parts to test which one is the culprit, if you're patient you should RMA both of them, otherwise check your local retailers for replacement parts.

As others suggested, it's worth trying to install everything atop a wooden table and seeing if it will POST. There's a chance that your case has grounding problems, and it causes the exact same symptoms you described even though the hardware is functioning.

Where did you get your Q6600 ? Is there any chance that it is G0 stepping "AND" the mobo bios isn't updated yet with the latest microcode ?

Yes, I know it sounds silly ! But worth verifying though. :D

bing said:
Where did you get your Q6600 ? Is there any chance that it is G0 stepping "AND" the mobo bios isn't updated yet with the latest microcode ?

Yes, I know it sounds silly ! But worth verifying though. :D

That is going to be a problem with a lot of guys in the near future.

Back