• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 running at 6x 1600mhz???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kinitex

Registered
I haven't changed a thing in the bios or anything yet. Why is it running at this? I checked the bios and everything is on default. WTF?

400MHz x 4 (quad pumped) FSB = 1600MHz

400 x 6 = 2.4GHz which is default clocks

Where are you seeing the 1600MHz setting? And what mobo and the rest of that good stuff (components)?

cpuzwx8.jpg

it drops the multiplier/voltage to run at a lower frequency to conserve energy.
look in bios for cpu EIST and disable it

K wtf i had cpu-z open and its still reading at 6x. I minimized it and opened up IE and came here. then when I minized IE cpu-z was reading 9x and then quickly changed to 6x.

There are SO MANY threads on this same topic. Do a search next time.

You have to go into your BIOS and disable ALL speedstep/power savings options. This includes and is not limited to EIST, CIA2, C1E, etc.

oops also disable c1e (i think thats what its called), this is another halt state

its switching between the 6x and 9x based on the load on the processor.
when theres no load it switches to 6x to save power, when you want to do something and it loads the processor its goes to 9x for processing power.

Sweet thanks got it. Tried a quick over clock.

3.0ghz

333 x 9
667ddr2
1.35vcore

cpu 37c
mb 40c

Load the CPU with orthos and tell us the temps,

What are you using to read your temps also.

its at 52c avg and spikes to 57c running orthos stress test on cpu and ram. Test has been running for 3 minutes. Using Asus Probe to check temps.

So whats a good load temperature to run at? mid 60's too high to aim for?

Those are pretty good temps for a Q6600 @ 3Ghz. What are you using to cool the beast?

ancalime said:
There are SO MANY threads on this same topic. Do a search next time.

You have to go into your BIOS and disable ALL speedstep/power savings options. This includes and is not limited to EIST, CIA2, C1E, etc.
I have said this a million times too. This should really be put as a sticky in big bold and red letters. It is not just this forum though it is everywhere!

Back