• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CyberPower CP550SL UPS - 550VA/330W $29.99 Shipped @ Buy.com

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
CyberPower CP550SL UPS - 550VA/330W

Link at Buy.com

$29.99 Shipped Free (make sure you choose budget shipping)

Here's what I saw in the specs:
  • Backup/Run Time 2 Minute(s) 330W Full-load
  • 13 Minute(s) 165W Half-load

What do you guys think of this powering a CABLE MODEM and a Wireless G Router? I feel like that's less than half-load. How long do you guys think it'll last?

Thanks in advance.

Really thinking of buying this just for cable modem and wireless router that I have downstairs at my gf's place... so that I can use my laptop with internet in case power goes out.

Reefa_Madness said:
so that I can use my laptop with internet in case power goes out.

For 13 minutes???? :D
13min is half load... i'm assuming that the ratio of what you load the UPS as opposed to its capacity is not directly proportional to the time it lasts.... only b/c if half load is 13min, then full load would be 6.5min instead of 2min.

So at a quarter load (which is what I'm assuming a modem and a wireless router would do) may last like 30min...?? who knows

i tried to google to see how much power a modem and a wireless router use, but had no luck.

I'm gonna guess that a modem would use 30-40 watts and a wireless router would use 50-70watts... just wild guesses.

You should be able to find approximate power use by either checking the power adapters of the router/modem or looking up the specs online. For instance, I just checked my wireless router (D-Link DI-624 ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/DI-624/DI-624_ds.pdf) and it says 5V, 2.4A. I flipped over my DSL modem (Netopia unit) and it says 12VDC 450mA. So combined that's a total of 17.4W.

If I wanted to I could use my KILL A WATT meter to verify the amounts, but that would requiring turning off the computer, getting an extension cord to plug into the UPS etc. Too much hassle:p Check the specs/power adapters/stickers on your modem/wireless router and you should get a fairly accurate figure.

2222222 said:
You should be able to find approximate power use by either checking the power adapters of the router/modem or looking up the specs online. For instance, I just checked my wireless router (D-Link DI-624 ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/DI-624/DI-624_ds.pdf) and it says 5V, 2.4A. I flipped over my DSL modem (Netopia unit) and it says 12VDC 450mA. So combined that's a total of 17.4W.

If I wanted to I could use my KILL A WATT meter to verify the amounts, but that would requiring turning off the computer, getting an extension cord to plug into the UPS etc. Too much hassle:p Check the specs/power adapters/stickers on your modem/wireless router and you should get a fairly accurate figure.
Dude, I TOTALLY didn't think of that...

in your case...
12 x .45 (modem) = 5.4w
5 x 2.4 (router) = 12w

at MAX.... so that's the MAX they would output.

Come to think of it... I would only assume mine does similar.

So AT MAXIMUM, your components do 17.4w... but just as a side note, the amperage rating on an AC (or DC) adapter is the MAX that the adapter is specified to do... so most likely you're not even pulling that many amps.

If half load on this UPS at 165w does 13min (according to its spec), then IF THE RATIO WAS DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL WITH LOAD, then at 17.4w (which should be the max that your units do) it should do...

(165w / 17.4w) x 13min = 123 minutes

So we'll get 2 hours runtime??

Can anyone tell me if this sounds CLOSE to accurate? I've no idea what the WATTS vs TIME graph would typically be for a UPS, so this is based on a linear graph.

damn was just gonna order, but oos... oh well

Back