• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

C&C 3: Questions on System Demands

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Route44

I love the C&C universe and since it now has been out a few months I would like to ask those who have been playing how the game runs on recommended requirements. Yes, I have read what has been printed, but I trust real gamers experiences more.

My specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0 GHz)
2 Gigs of RAM
X800 GTO 256 meg card w/ DDR3
SATA hardrive @ 7200 RPM

From what I have read this game is not nearly as demanding on the CPU as it is on the GPU. Do you think my card can handle the game? Any suggestions for decent framerate with my current PC configuration?

Thanks.

I ran it on my system with no problems. I would expect that you might have a couple settings on low, but it should run pretty well.

I think most of my settings were on medium/high and with no shadows. You will need about 4gb of hard drive space though iirc...

Edit: Sig harder to read than I thought.

Opty 148 @ 2750
7800gt
2Gb o Ram

well, I have a 8800GTX and I can run the campaign mode fine with settings all at max. However, when I do a skirmish with 8 players, I need to knock off shadows and bring some settings down to med or high (not max) to get a nice frame rate.
You'll be fine, but not everything will be able to be set to max.

Cheers,
-Lost

lostmantech said:
well, I have a 8800GTX and I can run the campaign mode fine with settings all at max. However, when I do a skirmish with 8 players, I need to knock off shadows and bring some settings down to med or high (not max) to get a nice frame rate.
You'll be fine, but not everything will be able to be set to max.

Cheers,
-Lost

I know you are trying to help but I don't think that comparing an 8800/core 2 system to a x800 gto/athlon is too relevant. They are basically polar opposites.

True, but what are you wanting to do most with cnc? Multiplayer or single. Like all cnc games the fps goes way down and usually goes out of sync when trying to play a lan or skirmish because the games are coded by monkeys. Doesnt matter what specs you have. I've ran the game with my 6800gt before i upgraded and I was able to run the game fairly well after turning down the shadows/detail etc but I still kept the res up and it still looked pretty.

WOW im suprised a 8800gtx cant run the game on max settings even with 8player skirmish, what reso are you running at?
with my 7900gtx at 1440x900 on max game runs perfect. but that is only for campaign mode. skirmish/multi with more than 4 players, yes I do need to turn down the settings a tiny bit.

you'll do fine with your rig Route44

True, eightballrj, true. Anyway, thanks for all the replies.

My main objective is to play skirmish, and the campaign but to a lessor degree, in a 1280 by 1024 resolution (I find this resolution works best for me). I have never played online in all the years I have played PC games. I wouldn't have the first clue on what to do and my motto would quickly become "Route44: Guaranteed to Help the Other Guys Win." :-/ :D

kiltz said:
WOW im suprised a 8800gtx cant run the game on max settings even with 8player skirmish, what reso are you running at?
with my 7900gtx at 1440x900 on max game runs perfect. but that is only for campaign mode. skirmish/multi with more than 4 players, yes I do need to turn down the settings a tiny bit.

you'll do fine with your rig Route44

I'm running at 1920*1200 on my dell 2407.In Campaign mode everything runs fantastic at max settings. But, I was talking about 8 players and I only have to turn a couple things down slightly. It is pretty nice.

*I realize that my above comment wasn't overly helpful, sorry. Didn't realize you were running athlon either*

Last edited:
lostmantech said:
I'm running at 1920*1200 on my dell 2407.In Campaign mode everything runs fantastic at max settings. But, I was talking about 8 players and I only have to turn a couple things down slightly. It is pretty nice.

*I realize that my above comment wasn't overly helpful, sorry. Didn't realize you were running athlon either*

Intresting. What does it drop to in MP? Just curious since well thought the FPS was locked in that game as well. So really only time you'd notice was when it dropped below 30FPS. I know my X1900XT had no issues running 1920x1200 max detail in campaing missions as well. Surely my 2900XT will do much better.

Im at work right now so I can't do any tests at the moment. And I admit I haven't checked the exact frame rate. However, the game in skirmish mode, with 7 computers and myself playing starts off fine. I noticed thats its only when we all had relatively large armies and they began to fight that the frame rate began to drop. Like I said I haven't tested, I just turned down shadows and a couple other settings a notch or two and got back to playing just fine.

In campaign mode no matter how large I made my army, I can run at max settings without a hitch.

This is also my first build and I'm still learning all the in's and out's so I'm trying to answer as best I can.

Back