• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nearly there - few last things needed...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dAvies.lOcker

Hi

So, i've been reading and rechecked my budget and found some extra cash.

My new system is looking like this so far.....i've got a few possibles so advice on those would be great

CPU: Intel 2CD E6000 (£138.23)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R (£85)

RAM: Cosair 2Gb kit XMS2 CL4 (4-4-4-12)PC6400 (83.39)
or
G.Skill 2Gb HK DDRII Blue Alu PC6400 CL4 (4-4-3-5) (88.99)

PSU: Cosair 520W HX (68.01)

GFX: this is a tricky one

EVGA 8800GTS 320Mb Gddr3 (189.12)
--> *EDIT* going with this
or PoV 8600GTS 256Mb (110)
or XFX 8600GTS 256Mb (137)

My main questions are.....

Which RAM would you guys recommend?
I'm not sure at all as to which GFX card to go with.....the EVGA one would put me £50 over budget.....is it worth it?

Finally - how does the rig sound?

ta muchly

Last edited:
Cheers for pointing that out.

Any suggestions reagrding the RAM? I don;t know much about timings so dont know which of the two kits is better.

With the mobo, i heard that the GA-P35-DS3R is a great little board with good overclocking potential. Is this the same for the "C" version? AFAIK the only difference is that it has 6 DIMM slots (DDR2 and DDR3), giving that upgrade solution in the future.

ta

dAvies.lOcker said:
BUMP!

I can get a Intel Core2Duo E6750 2.66Ghz 1333 FSB, for ~£30 cheaper than the E6600 - how does this chip compare and will i need different RAM?

Ta

Should be faster, with new and improved stepping, and your RAM should not be effected.

They both look to be rated the same at PC6400. I think most people would agree with me when I say, Corsair is not really known for its OC'ing potential or stability, I would go with the G.SKILL, I've had nothing but success from them. All that said, assuming those are your 2 options.

the gskill gets my vote cos of the timings and ocability....what are the voltage ratings on them?

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider either of the two ram choices you have right now, when Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 can be had for the same price. :p
They might be more expensive in the UK, but the D9 chips in crucial ballistix are famous for their performance and overclocking potential. If you can find those in a similar price range as your current memory selection, it's worth getting

Right guys/girls. My order has gone in and my final spec is detailed below. Thanks for all the input.

CPU: Intel E6750
GFX: EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
PSU: Corsair HX 520W
RAM: Crucial 2GB Ballistix PC2-6400
MOBO: GA-P35-DS3R
HS: Thermal Right 120 Ultra - extreme (with push pin kit)
HSF: Nexus 120mm 22dba

How that look?

Cheers

Back