• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 G0 and Asus p5k dlx/prem question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dethzero

Hey guys, I'm still waiting on my q6600 g0 chip. Here is the kicker, I hear it require a bios upgrade?

My question is this, will I be able to flash the bios with the q6600 chip in there to the latest one? or will I need a compatible cpu first to flash the bios?

If your bios is not Q6600 compatible it will not boot, so you won't get to the stage where you can flash your bios, so yes you need to flash it with a CPU that is compatible...

that sucks, maybe I could take it to some PC repair shop to see if they got a chip compatible and flash it there hehe.

Or maybe I could just order a cheap on and sell it on ebay or something

edit: Also, what are the chances of the asus p5k deluxe or premium not being compatible with the q6600 right out of the box?

Chances depend on when you bought it. I would just look on the website for more accurate information.

dethzero said:
that sucks, maybe I could take it to some PC repair shop to see if they got a chip compatible and flash it there hehe.

Or maybe I could just order a cheap on and sell it on ebay or something

edit: Also, what are the chances of the asus p5k deluxe or premium not being compatible with the q6600 right out of the box?

I'm pretty sure that their is a bios upadate for your board, someone with such a board will be able to tell

It needs to be updated before you boot with the g0 chip, but you could just give it a try. It may already be updated to the proper BIOS. If not you could borrow a cpu from someone or buy a cheap E2140 and return it although I would be careful of the return policies on CPUs (I have never actually done this). You don't want to get screwed paying for another processor.

hmmm that sucks heh

If anything, I guess I'll just buy the E2140 and sell it right away on ebay. Most shops usually have a 15% restocking fee so I may have a better lock selling a "new" chip on ebay close to that price. Plus I'll get another positive feedback =P

You won't have a problem. My p5k deluxe wasn't G0 ready, it was bios version 2. It just beeped a warning about something being improper but booted anyways. The new bios is 2 megs and I downloaded it nto a USB drive and the old BIOS recognized the drive, read the new bios and installed it without a complaint.
:clap:

orion456 said:
You won't have a problem. My p5k deluxe wasn't G0 ready, it was bios version 2. It just beeped a warning about something being improper but booted anyways. The new bios is 2 megs and I downloaded it nto a USB drive and the old BIOS recognized the drive, read the new bios and installed it without a complaint.
:D
If that it´s true, then I was right when I open this topic:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=520239
I also don´t want to have to buy another CPU, just for BIOS update,
but some members here keep saying the system don´t POST...

orion456 said:

woohoo! Great news indeed! Now to get all this stuff together and have fun! :clap: :D

Now another question, should I get the ASUS deluxe or premium board? What exactly is a difference? I've looked at specs and they're indentical. But there is a 20-30 dollar price tag difference hehe

I think the Prem has solid caps
havent talked to any one with it yet .

Most ppl say that their mb tops out around 530 fsb mine included

filete said:

Mine definitely it said there was something wrong with the CPU, and it looked like it was just going to sit there doing nothing with the message on the screen, but I rebooted, same message, and this time I think I hit a key and it booted up. It comes up pretty quick so hit the del as soon as you see the welcome screen.

I had a problem with bios 501 so right now I'm on bios 4, which turned out to have the same problem (certain bios settings won't let me boot properly, I think its changing the video settings or the numlock key setting but I'm not sure.)

filete said:

there have been members who's board did NOT boot with the G0 initially until BIOS were updated.

If you had taken the time to actually read the thread you would have figured it out
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=518099&highlight=g0+BIOS+update

more specifically
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5129731&postcount=16

just because it works on one board doesn't mean it will always work

Last edited:
might have something to do with certain board makers but not others GT?

I think the Prem has solid caps
havent talked to any one with it yet .

Most ppl say that their mb tops out around 530 fsb mine included

What does that mean?

dethzero said:
might have something to do with certain board makers but not others GT?

deth, not sure the only thing I can see is that orion is using a P35 chip while the ones that William_Hung was using were 965 and 975 chips.

GTengineer said:
there have been members who's board did NOT boot with the G0 initially until BIOS were updated.

But none of those were P5K deluxe, where they? I thought this thread was just about that board.

orion456 said:
But none of those were P5K deluxe, where they? I thought this thread was just about that board.
no you are right, I was not referring to you... this goes back to another thread discussion with filete.

But I don't truly understand how yours can work if it wasn't updated with the g0 microcode from the start. I mean the g0 microcode is independent of the mobo chip isn't it? So it doesn't make sense that the board boots with g0 simply because it is running a P35 like on the Asus P5K while the 965s and 975s cannot.

Last edited:
orion456 said:

So your saying you inserted a g0 Q6600 SLACR into a P5K-Deluxe wifi,thats
bios did not support the g0 but it booted up anyway,and then you flashed it to 0404 or up ?

According to the Asus website,g0 quadcore support was ONLY added after the 0404 bios release... ;)

SH0DAN said:
So your saying you inserted a g0 Q6600 SLACR into a P5K-Deluxe wifi,thats
bios did not support the g0 but it booted up anyway,and then you flashed it to 0404 or up ?

According to the Asus website,g0 quadcore support was ONLY added after the 0404 bios release... ;)

Yep, it had bios v2, and when it booted up, it has some cryptic message and I went...OH NO. It looked like it had frozen so I rebooted thinking the message might not come up again (a false hope, as usual). It did come back, but then I just hit the keyboard and voila it booted up. I hit the delete key and it went into setup. [A few times I missed hitting the delete key fast enough and strangely it booted into some kind of FreeDos but I couldn't do anything from there.]

Once in setup I used their bios update routine and I thought I was up the creek again when I saw the bios was 2 megs and I figured it wouldn't read a USB drive from the bios. Again I was wrong, it read the USB drive and found the new bios. Updated and...new problems with not booting properly, but thats another story.

What ever changes G0 brings are not critical to booting on the p5k it seems.

Back