• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800 Series a blowoff?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mrr.guy

Well, theres already talk of the 98xx cards and DX10.1
I find this to come a little fast and im somewhat dissapointed as my 8800GTX feels useless before i even got to use what it was marketed (sp?) for.

Well, just thought I'd rant for a second and see what your guys opinion is?

Mrr.guy said:
I find this to come a little fast and im somewhat dissapointed as my 8800GTX feels useless before i even got to use what it was marketed (sp?) for.

Remember, they still haven't even made the cards yet. Those are just "guidelines" they layed down that they want to follow ;)

I felt the same way initially, but hey, we have some of the best now and it isn't like these cards suck!! :bday:

What you have now is a great card dont be too dissapointed, there is all ways something better about to come out, its all part of the tech game.

When I max-out my 8800GTS I can dance and spit all over anything the last video card generation had to offer. Currently I'm only CPU limited. So if the 9800GTX is twice as powerful as what I've got... what do you think is going to happen?

Just grab a 8800 now... 6 months ago there was talk about a 8900 that never even came... if you keep waiting for the newest stuff, you'll never get it.

^^ TOO RIGHT.

Do not worry mate. Let your worry come to a rest. The 8800GTS and the GTX models are pretty damn good as of right now. Even the GTS 320MB! Hell I bet the 9800 series wont be released till after Christmas and probably be half of what the guide lines are now. My 8800GTX scored at least 11500 on 3dmark06 at stock speeds! That's pretty good!! I bet you the 8800 will last on up till next summer playing any game such as Quake Wars, UT 2007, that new battlefield and call of duty at high/max settings! Just got the EVGA GTX a few days ago and sold my 7950GT for $100 in the classifieds and man what a difference it made in ALL my games..Right now am in the middle of installing Vista for some DX10 action :D

And like I said it makes no sense to wait for something thats not even released yet. And these specs are not official!

In no way is the 8800 Series a blowoff. It is the first version of a new technology so there is always going to be bugs... But now it has matured a little and the drivers have gotten a lot better.

I don't feel like I bought a blow off. I got this card for $269. When the 98xx comes along (could be well over 6 months or more) they'll start at $399 and take another 6 months to get to the reasonable price point (under $300, IMO) of the 8800GTS's. Every time new technology comes around, or this case only a hyped up announcement, everyone seems to kick themselves for having bought the last generation of technology because it just looks shabby in comparison to the next thing coming along. Nothing's ever going to change. Buy now, then over clock it :D , and enjoy whatever it is you buy and don't worry what's coming along soon. It's not even out yet, and once it has come out, there will another announcement shortly after of the next over-hyped generation that makes the hardware you just bought look all but useless.

Mrr.guy said:

You are fine lol.

Viper

I got mine hoping it would be the new equivilant of the ATI 9800 pro-xt in lasting and holding up for a while. I still got my fingers crossed that Nvidia supports it for a while and supports future versions of DX10 and is powerfull enough for a while like the 9800 was with DX9.

Back