• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to build a new rig...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
My current rig is 2.4GHz P4 (OC'ed to 3GGhz), 1.5GB RAM, NVidia 6800, etc.

Lately I've noticed some newer games don't play quite as well on my current rig. The first thing I did was to look for new video card but I realized it'd be hard to find a new AGP video card that works great and still useable if I replaced the mobo as new mobo don't support AGP anymore.

So I looked at new mobos with PCI-Express. but none supports Socket 478 (surprise)

As some parts of my main PC is hitting 4 years old now, I think I'd be better off building a new one from ground up rather than trying to upgrade it. Need a new CPU, Mobo, video card, and RAM. I'll take the existing hard drives from my current backup and put them in my main, and move the 3 biggest hard drive to the new one. I don't know yet if I'll keep the current DVD burner (burns all form except DVD-RAM) as I'm not currently in the market for HDDVD or blu-ray yet. Oh yeah and a new power supply...

Here's my little problem: trying to get a better gaming rig on a budget of only $200.

Now here's my main question: should by chance I win lottery and have about $1000 to spend, can you suggest a decent new mobo with PCI-express, a matching CPU, and a PCI-express video card? I have an eye on an Antec power supply that should have more than enough power, and I can deal with the case later if my current case isn't compatible and I get tired of naked computer. :D

On that sort of budget, I wouldn't even bother getting a DX10 video card. nvidia 8500/8600 benchmarks have shown that they are pretty damn crappy compared to the best of the DX9 cards. The only reason I would get either of them is for the full h.264 hardware acceleration, which many people have no use for anyway. A cheap ati x1900xt can absolute blow any 8500/8600 out of the water when it comes to in-game FPS averages

Back