• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU symptoms

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gigacloud

I have a 580 watt hiper PSU and it seems to be making a high pitched noise when I turn the PSU on, but this stops as soon as I turn on the PC.

Is my PSU faulty?? I have returned the prevoiuse PSU as the fan stopped spinning after 2 hours use.:eh?: :eh?: :eh?: :eh?:

JamesXP said:
Probably a bad fan,

RMA it or just replace it but you'll void your warranty.

PSU fan doesn’t/won’t try to spin until you turn on the computer...

Gigacloud said:
I have a 580 watt hiper PSU and it seems to be making a high pitched noise when I turn the PSU on, but this stops as soon as I turn on the PC.

Is my PSU faulty?? I have returned the prevoiuse PSU as the fan stopped spinning after 2 hours use.

So you get the noise when the PSU is plugged in with the switch on the PSU turned on, and the computer off. Then when you turn on the computer the noise goes away? Is it a high pitched noise like when a TV is on?

iii9ix3 said:
So you get the noise when the PSU is plugged in with the switch on the PSU turned on, and the computer off. Then when you turn on the computer the noise goes away? Is it a high pitched noise like when a TV is on?

Yes and I had a 300 watt powersupply years ago that made the same noise and it failed.

The strange thing is I just installed my new sata drive and the pitch of the noise changed??

You could use something to physically stop the fan from spinning, such as a zip tie or other non conductive object. Boot the machine and hold the fan blade still for just a few seconds. If you get the squealing then you need to determine if it is coming from the MOBO or the PSU. If it is in fact from the PSU is probably a leaky capacitor and I would suggest NEVER using the PSU again. RMA it. If it goes "BOOM" it can take other components with it. Same for the MOBO, if it is a cap squealing on the MOBO, RMA it.

Gigacloud said:

Is my PSU faulty?? I have returned the prevoiuse PSU as the fan stopped spinning after 2 hours use.:eh?: :eh?: :eh?: :eh?:

May have something to do with the 5VSB loop or the transient filtering stage.

Thund3rball said:
Oh and Yellowbeard forgot to mention one thing... buy a Corsair next time - LOL (kidding). Actually I have seen him on other forums too, excellent non-biased advice :thup:
Thanks man, I try to be non biased even though I do now work for a memory company. Obviously we all know what RAM, PSUs, etc I would recommend but, I was an enthusiast LONG before I went to work for Corsair so I try to be helpful in general. :attn: My job is not pimping or selling, we have a marketing department for all that :p

Back