• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I got me a free 1.9 P4...heh heh

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

high_lander

Registered
I won a free proc from pc club at one of thier roadshows. I am going to attempt to build a sweet a** system around it. Thinking about:

MB: MSI 645 or 845 Ultra. Got good reviews and that sweet red PCB

RAM: Crucial DDR, 'nuff said.

Video: GF3 ti200.

HDD: maxtor 30GB 7200

Digital Media: Pioneer DVD, Plextor CDRW.

MIsc.: 3Com PCI NIC, Hercules GTXP, and I can't think of any thing else (too much Guinness), unless you guys want to add your .02 $

if you want stability get the 845D chipset, but for performance get the 645.....i like the idea of getting ddr its proven to be tight, rambus, i dunno so much aobut....

however...

At the event MSI was there as well as Intel. I asked the MSI rep which board they would recommend, and he pointed to the 645 board and "All I'm going to say is...333" and he just smiled. So, after I looked at the boards (they had an 845 boards on show, but didn't even label it.) I meandered over to the Intel rep area and started this conversation:

"So the MSI guy said the 645 is going to smoke the 845..."

"He doesn't know what he's talking about"

"I don't know man, 333 is pretty fast, and itlooks real stable"

"Just wait. We got a few tricks up our sleeve."

I don't like the idea of RAMBUS. I don't like thier business pratices, or thier over priced memory. So I choose to not give them my business. That's why I waited a year for P4, so I could get a DDR solution.

On impulse I almost bought the VIA solution, something about having an "outlaw" chipset. But, then I thought, wait what if they lose thier court case and Intel bans them from selling that chipset? Then I'm 'EDITED CONTENT' (scottish spelling...) I still have yet to decise which one I am going with.

Edited By UnseenMenace - Forum Moderator
When posting please consider that we people of all age groups using these forums and the language used should reflect this.

Last edited by a moderator:
The current P4's are designed to work with Rambus memory. DDR memory has a different timing than the CPU that may or may not cause problems with system stablility. The next generaion of P4's are supposed to be able to take advantage of ddr memory, and are "supposed" to come out sometime in early 2002.

I don't like the idea of RAMBUS. I don't like thier business pratices

I read where a lot of people throw that excuse around, but they can never quote me a source for the RAMBUS bad business practice.....

Are you just repeating something you read, or do you know first hand that RAMBUS is a bad buisness?

in my opinion your cheating yourself using anything but RDRAM with the P4

the P4 was designed to be used with the RDRAM

trey_w said:
in my opinion your cheating yourself using anything but RDRAM with the P4

the P4 was designed to be used with the RDRAM

Agree with ya m8. You probably won't get the full juice with SDRam or DDR ram and guaranteed with RDRam.

Back