• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best DDR3 overcocking budget board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liquid3D

The ksBrainstorms Mad Reviewer (R.I.P.)
I know the title is what is commonly known in philosophical circles as "what are you stupid, thats a freakin misnomer" and at the Havard Rat's Nest Club (men only) as "not possible in any other possible world and tell us your's so we avoid you putz" but, are there any?

This must be purchased in the next few days for testing. My budgt is is basiclaly $0 so what I'm saying is I need the least expensive P35 based DDR3 board with 1333FSB/1333Mhz DDR3-memory support.

One of the least expensive board is the GA-P35C-DS3R supporting DD2/DDR3 but when something tried to do both, well "you can't be all things to all people" unless your

GUMBY DAMMIT

what do you mean by "when something tried to do both"? its still going to oc the same reguardless of the ram used. you more then likly to hit a ram fsb wall then a problem with a mobo supporting both. that is about the only board i can think of that is somewhat cheap with both ddr2/3. i though i saw a asus P5K3 board like the plain P5K.

Well what I mean is this; within the NB-MCH there must be a Memory Controller capable of DDR2 support and capable of DDR3 support there's a different GBA count beneath with the former suporting less pins then the latter. This addiitonal circuitry makes the chip more complicated then if it was running one or the other and probably cuases it to run hottoer affecting it's Overclock.

I may be way off base and completely incorrect, but when I think back to early SRDAM/DDR chipsets and DDR1/DDR2 chipsets they never really overclocked as well nor performed as well as the generations which followed.

For example the 915 chipset supported both DDR1/DDR2 no one would take a 915 chipset over a 925 chipset which followed and only supported native DDR2, the 915 was not a great performer compared to the 925 and it surly didn't outperform the 915 in memory once DDR2 matured a bit.

1087658316yVxFcpwsQb_2_1.gif

1087658316yVxFcpwsQb_2_2.gif

Last edited:
if i recall correctly intel made is so that p35 had ddr3 native in it with ddr2 as a back up, same thing with x38. really though from those that compared them from some that i saw the ocing was the same. i would check out XSforums though see how many are running "hybrid" boards and see who has both compared in benchmarks. cause those guys over there love to spend money! i know the group over here is bit more best for our money not just "wow new toy lets buy it!" crowd.

Back