• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x 8600gt 512mb vs 1x 8800gts 640mb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterTelia

hi

so i dont know much about all these nvida 8000 series gfx cards so thats why im here

as im upgrading my rig i need some help

well back to topic will 2x Sparkle Geforce 8600GT - 512MB - PCI-E- Calibre be able to give me more frames per second than a normal stock 8800gts 640 mb

You need to leave more details. What games do you play? What resolutions do you play on? How big is your monitor? What other hardware are you running?

Short answer: 8800 GTS 640mb. Just do it, then get another one later.

oh yeah sry forgot the other info, i have a crappy rig atm old very old.

amd athlon 64 3700+
4x 512mb ram very slow cant remember mhz
440gb hdd
and then a crappy mobo, brand orion, have searched but cant find ANY info on it
psu dont mind it ill take care of that
monitor, 1280x1024 19" sony

i play mostly bf2(default setting, exept AA is set to 2x)

its going to get upgraded down the road as i dont have enough money atm for a full new rig

Not only resolutions, but games like dirt if you try to put shadows up to ultra, it says not enough video memory. So to really be able to get every feature on every game, get the 640. I had a 320, and am now back to an old 7800gt waiting on a 8800 640. I like high res and don't like not having all the options.

So your going to have to make a choice on Motherboards. Indications are that the X38 Intel chipset wont be SLI, so going with a NV chipset is your only option. The P5n32-SLI Plus is looking good for the price there...heck I may get one.

not sure what socket to go for, am2 or lga775, but ive been thinking about getting the asus commando or the asus crosshair

MasterTelia said:
not sure what socket to go for, am2 or lga775, but ive been thinking about getting the asus commando or the asus crosshair
Why won't you just go for cheaper board and better gfx.

Intel E4xxx and E6xxx are well clocking cpus that will probably top out most amd offereing.

MasterTelia - to be honest, I wouldnt consider AMD right now from a performance standpoint. If it was just budget minded it would be more of an option, but with their recent financial troubles, and Intel's time lead and lack of hard data on AMD's products it's hard to back them as much as I have loved their past products and like the under dog. I still want the most for my money, and if I am buying right now, AMD need's to prove it is going to compete. If this is their idea of catching up, it's going too slow for me. It almost seems the reverse of when they dominated and Intel took forever to catch up. Hopefully they will pull a rabbit out of the hat, I just fear this next release because if it was a barn burner they would be shouting from the roof tops which they are not doing, and to be honest they don't seem to be taking the same road with the upcomming CPU as with the HD2900, that mid range market. They need to do better to win back the support of enthusiasts.

In short AMD doesn't make sense at the moment for GUARANTEED performance/$.

It really has nothing to do with liking one company or another (or at least it shouldn't). It is all about price vs performance. Intel is offering the best performance and at a good price. It's definitely the smart way to go.

meionm said:
Why won't you just go for cheaper board and better gfx.

Intel E4xxx and E6xxx are well clocking cpus that will probably top out most amd offereing.

but what cheaper board would you recomend, ive read reviews on those boards and they seem to be very good.

jivetrky - thats what I was saying in a round about way, just adding in that AMD has no proven roadmap. With intel we kind of have an idea of whats comming and they have been open about it. With AMD, they have been pretty guarded about upcomming products, which to me doesn't inspire confidence, much like the R600. I think AMD is going to take quite a few lumps, but on the case for a good cheap MB, a DS3L http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA4830813 at $85 is a good clocking bargain price.

Back