• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it legal to buy windows XP used?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nealoc187

Registered
I am going to have to reinstall windows XP here pretty soon because I've got a new proc and mobo coming, and from the reading I've done most people have to do a new windows XP install. I have no idea where my windows XP cd is or if I even ever got one (I bought my desktop used like 4 years ago). So it looks like I'll need to purchase a new copy of WinXP. But I was wondering, are you allowed to buy windows XP used from someone and will the product key transfer over? How would Microsoft guarantee that the guy who sold it to you really took it off of his computer? Or do you have to purchase it new with a "never before used" product key?

If you till have the key to that XP install you can use another copy of xp with your key.

you pay for th key.

Not sure about it's legality of transferring the key, but if that owner already activated his/her key, then it will become useless cause MS will recognize that as stolen key when you do the activation process at your rig.

JamesXP said:
If you till have the key to that XP install you can use another copy of xp with your key.

you pay for th key.

The key would be only something available on paper, right? It's not something I can find in my start menu or anything - not the numbers/letters under my "Registered To:" area when I right click on my computer is it?

Your key is stored on your computer but it's not blatantly obvious where it is. There however are programs to get your XP key extracted if you lost or forgot it. I'm not gonna go any further because I think mentioning this is kinda pushing the line for the rules on this forum.

If it is a retail version of windows XP then it can be used across computers. Meaning, if someone was running it and then formats and installs it on another PC, you can reactivate it, although after 3-5 times it will require calling. (or a 12 month wait in between activations)

I am not a lawyer but I believe retail copies can be sold as long as they are only used on one PC!!!.

However OEM is sold with a piece of hardware (motherboard usually and is tied to either that single piece of HW or a PC in the case of system builders like dell and hp etc...)

Nealoc187 said:
But I was wondering, are you allowed to buy windows XP used from someone and will the product key transfer over? How would Microsoft guarantee that the guy who sold it to you really took it off of his computer? Or do you have to purchase it new with a "never before used" product key?

Retail XP's transferable. The copies are supposed to stop working when they phone home and it's noticed that more than one copy's running.

I am in a similar situation with office 2003 pro. I have a couple of retail keys but no media(and no one to borrow a disk from) to use them with.

I just went through this recently, my aunt came down to Fl to visit and she cleaned my office which was nice, but she accidently threw away my XP disk.

I had all the paperwork, CD key, box and receipt, Microsoft charges $30 or more for replacement XP disks. They wanted to charge me $41 but I got it from them for $30.

$41 is H'way robbery if you ask me, even $30 is a bit ridiculous because people lose and damage disks for many reasons, nice of Microsoft to take advantage of the situation. If you cannot prove you owned it and cannot produce at least the CD key, your out of luck and they'll tell you to go buy Vista
devil.gif
In the end, I didn't mind paying the $30 only because I got Vista for free from that promotion. Then again, I installed Vista 3 times and each time I went back to XP. No using Vista for me until MSFT puts out Vista SP1 which was supposed to be due out this summer.

..Anyway, I had to send them this picture showing I actually owned XP to get my lost disk replacement:

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 189
PS, $30 or $41 gets you this nice plain white sleeve envelope and a new shiny XP disk from Microshaft. They also send you a new CD key and the old one they probably put on a black list or what not.

Attachments

• Plain White sleeve.jpg
    Plain White sleeve.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 122
  • $41 gets you this.jpg
    $41 gets you this.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 125
How long did that take and what carrier? Just so folks know. :D

Last time I got a MS disk it was USPS, Media bulk.

I purchased my key for xp home edition four years back, have had many many reinstalls since then, and have never been heckled from anyone at Microsoft - even when they started to make me call to reinstall/register.

All that the Indian-sounding people seem to care about is that I'm reinstalling on the "same computer" (mind you this computer has no identical parts from when I first purchased a used windows key from my friend). Also whether or not I have to call to register seems to be based on whether I've upgraded something or not - as in a motherboard replacement = a required registration call.

Back