• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting together new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlabit

Registered
It is going to be an Intel Q6600 G0 stepping processor on a Gigabyte Ga-P35-DS3R motherboard. I am waiting for my processor and cooler, which is a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, to arrive from California. All the rest of the components are here at the house. My question: I see that the Thermalright CPU heatsink does not have a 120 mm fan included. I have a couple of fans in the drawer here at the house and wonder whether they will work. I have a brand new Scythe S-Flex SFF21F fan in the box, unopened. I also have an Artic Fan 12 model on the shelf. It looks like the Artic fan will only go on one way. Not sure yet whether it is intake only, or exhaust only. The site for it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186008

The Scythe fan is located here:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835185006

Both of these are 120 mm case fans. This is the first time I have bought a heatsink without a fan so sorry if the question seems noobish. Are either of these fans suitable for the Ultra Extreme heatsink? If so, which would you use? Or would you use them both with two fans?

I want to get this right where hopefully I can overclock that quad a little bit. Thanks for your advice and assistance.

Jim

either will work. Between the two, I would use the scythe with plans to upgrade to something like a panaflow later on.

--pak

the scythe sff21f is one of the most recommended fans for use with the thermalright u-120 extreme. it has excellent airflow for very little noise; I'd definitely choose the scythe, pushing air through the heatsink

One more question.

Would two 120 mm fans be better that one? Is that something normally done with this heatsink? Looks like mounting hardware (brackets) only comes for mounting one, though.

Thanks Shirker.

Looks like I have what I need already then. I'll use the Scythe S-Flex SFF21F on it then. Appreciate the advice. Now if I can just get my Q6600 and Ultra Extreme via UPS, I'll be cooking. lol

jlabit said:
It looks like the Artic fan will only go on one way. Not sure yet whether it is intake only, or exhaust only.

there is no such thing as a fan that does intake or exhaust only. one side will be intake and other exhaust.

i would go with either or maybe even both if your going to really overclock.

Spawn-Inc said:
there is no such thing as a fan that does intake or exhaust only. one side will be intake and other exhaust.

i would go with either or maybe even both if your going to really overclock.

I understand what you are saying, however, it will only mount on one side, which appears to be exhaust only, from what I can see. Read the reviews at Newegg for the fan and you will see what I mean.

ahhh, well with some messing around you could change that.

so whats the full system specs?

Sys specs

Currently running an AMD64 4000+ single core overclocked to 3000. Upgrading to Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R, Intel Q6600, hopefully overclocked a bunch, Seagate 320 gb Sata 3 x 2 in RAID 0 config, Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with Sythe S-Flex fan, BFG 7950 GPU (Next thing to upgrade, but can't afford it yet after rest of computer upgrade), Sony DVD RW Sata 3 x 2, PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610 watt power supply, Mushkin DDR800 1 gb x 2 memory. My wife will inherit the old machine for her solitaire games. Hopefully, this new machine, when overclocked, will kick some *** with the new game Crysis, in November. I play Joint Operations Typhoon Rising, BF2, BF 2142, and Day of Defeat Source currently.

Back