• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x120mm Rad Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

Hey there guys. I'm taking about upgrading my water cooling setup to a 2x120mm rad. I currently have just a 120mm Black Ice Xtreme Radiator. The loop only cools my CPU, so what I'm mainly looking for the 2x 120mm rad to do is allow for bit cooler temps so I can push my chip a little harder. I'm leaning towards getting a quad soon as well, so I'd hope the 2 x 120mm radiator will be enough to cool an overclocked Q6600. I saw a 2 x 120mm BIX in the classifieds for sale, but I'm not sure of its performance reputation. Would that rad be suitable to keep an overclocked Q6000 cool? Whats the best 2 x 120mm rad?

-Dave

thermochill pa120 is the best rad series but it is a lot more expensive and not that much ahead of some of the other rads. A 2 x120 should be enough for just a q6600 depending on how much voltage you push (and since they can run fairly hot it should be ok, it just will likely have higher temperatures or require faster fans then a 120.3). I believe swiftechs mcr220's are considered to be very good in terms of price performance if the thermochill is out of your price range.

What sort of fans do you intend to use? With quiet fans, the MCR220 would be a good choice, and the PA120.2 would be slightly better (and much more expensive). With louder fans, I'm really not the person to ask, so I won't risk misleading you.

MCR220 is the best choice imo. Unless you really have money to burn you won't really see that great of an improvement going to the PA120.2.

The BIX likes high CFM fans to work well. That means a bit more noise of course, but if you have a lot of air flow through a BIX, they do cool very well. Personally, I prefer the MCR220. It's a great bang for the buck and you can use quieter fans.

wow.... 56db! thats like a freaking vaccum machine! I had a tornado once... never again! But.. the thought of a rheobus isn't bad..

Well according to this curve, with my D5 pump (317gph.. ~5.2gpm) should be able to cool upwards of 350W with the MCR220. I just ordered 4 Panaflow 114cfm fans for it with a fan controller... are those fans a little over kill of this radiator? I read an o/c'ed Q6600 does about 200-230W when overclocked to 3.6. According to this curve, do you think I'll be alright?

Attachments

• MCR220QP_HD_VS_FR.PNG
    MCR220QP_HD_VS_FR.PNG
    20.2 KB · Views: 209
I've got a BIX360 and it gets fairly warm with my Q6600 and X1800 in the loop. I'm inclined to say a dual won't be enough, unless you use high-speed fans.

Back