• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my desktop is possessed (?) help.. .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bapski

been noticing this before but has become more pronounced now..

whats happening is that i see my MOUSE POINTER moving by itself. just today i saw my firefox screen just go berserck just like somebody was playing with the mouse and just scrolling the firefox window up and down.

could it be possible that somebody/someone is shadowing me?

whenever this happens i just usually shutdown my pc. and symptoms seem to disappear. but today, i only did not shutdown, i also renewed my DHCP.. dunno if that matters or if what i did was a remedy..

any help will be very much appreciated..

* no reported virus..
* dont think mouse has a problem but will consider using a different one..

im running xp with zonealarm security suite..

If it's an optical mouse, it'll do funny movements when there's a hair in the way of the eye. Clean it or try with a different mouse and see what happens then.

Good Luck!

Foolios said:
If it's an optical mouse, it'll do funny movements when there's a hair in the way of the eye. Clean it or try with a different mouse and see what happens then.

Good Luck!

its just a regular mouse.. with ball and scroll button.. will try an optical mouse tomorrow..

would it be possible for anybody to be able to control my pc though? even with a firewall?

gonna agree with the posters and say its a dying mouse.

what firewall are you using, just out of curiosity?

If it is not moving much while idle. Chances are you haven't been owned. Mice when they head towards the crapper sometimes will jitter some and ever so slightly drift.

To answer your question about controlling your pc outside your firewall protection. That is a big yes. Chances of it happening out of the blue.. super low. Unless you installed remote desktop software. There wasa hole in FreeVNC a while back. It allowed intruders in.

If you fileshare, a malicious program can hitch along on a port that is open and pretty much let the ring master in and do the things they want. Not very common though. Usually it is keyloggers for data. Not taking over the mouse. It is easier to just watch what is going on.

So unles you have remote desktop software installed. The reason I asked, because older version are swiss cheese kinda. Just try out the new mouse and see if it corrects the issue.

Sounds like a dying mouse. I don't really see anyone installing a virus or remote software on your computer just to move firefox window up and down to bother you (like a sibling might do).

I've had this happen, the pointer moves slowly in one direction. I just though it was microscopic creatures walking across the sensor!

I've had this happen, the pointer moves slowly in one direction. I just though it was microscopic creatures walking across the sensor!

LOL!

I have had an older optical mouse that used to drift left all the time. As others have said, it died shortly after.

If this was my windows machine I would:

Try a different mouse. If your current mouse connects via the PS/2 port, then use a USB mouse and vice a versa.

If the above did not work I would format/reinstall.

Back