• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing my Opteron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adaman

I think my Opteron 146 died out of nowhere, hopefully it's the only part that died and replacing it will get my system back up and running. So, I'm wondering which CPU to replace it with. Does my motherboard support dual core? I can't figure it out for sure, but it seems like there are people using dual core CPUs with the ASrock DualSATA2 mobo. If it does support dual core, what CPU should I get? A dual core opty or one of those X2 chips? Look how cheap this sucker is - Or maybe you have a CPU to suggest? I hope so :)

If my motherboard doesn't support dual core what should I be looking at? I could just get another Opty 146 I suppose, but that would be boring, I just had one of those and it died after less than 2 years :p

I'm either going to upgrade my system entirely or just try and replace the CPU and hope that will fix everything. Being as broke as I am I'll probably attempt to just replace the CPU first and if that doesn't work I can return it and do a complete upgrade. I'll be buying tomorrow sometime.

Would really appreciate any help, thanks.

Opteron 1100 said:
stick with the opterons , get a 165

Why a 165 over an X2 chip? I'm just curious. Though I guess I'm a teeny tiny bit against getting another opteron since my last one died so quick. Though it wouldn't bother me getting another opteron, since I'll probably upgrade in a year, year 1/2 anyways. I just need a chip to get me by until then, that'd be great. Plus a dual core CPU would be like an upgrade anyways, over my Opteron 146. Not sure how much of an upgrade it would be, but right now I'm just really wanting to get my own computer up and running.

No way, get the oem 3800 X2 over the Opteron 165. You already have a heatsink, so the OEM chip will suit you well, and you'll save about $30. :thup:

Nothing against the Opterons, but for the outgoing 939 arch, I wouldn't suggest spending too much money if you don't have to. If you're going to spend $100 for an outdated socket 939 chip you may as well just spend a couple hundred more beyond that and fully upgrade IMO.

That 3800 is a Toledo core, basically the same as a FX-60 but with half of the L2 cache. It might reach FX-60 speeds or higher. L2 cache doesn't matter that much on K8, and if you can hit 2.6 that's not too bad for $60.

Last edited:
Brisbane is AM2 if I'm not mistaken. Your Opteron is socket 939.

I've been contemplating this type of upgrade too, since my 3200+ seems to be incredibly limited. I'd like to get a cheap FX-60 from eBay (Like $200-cheap) but if I can't manage that I'll probably end up getting the 165.

Adaman said:
Yeah but I think my Mobo supports AM2. Specs here
Future CPU Port: Supports CPU upgrade from AMD K8 939-Pin CPU to AM2 940-Pin CPU through AM2 CPU Board (Optional)
Better make sure you have that, then. I do have no idea how that would work, however - kinda wonky, and it's the first time I've heard of it.

Regardless, the 165 and 170 optys are pretty cheap, and generally still OC well.

Who knows, it's confusing.

I'll probably just forget about the Brisbane unless anyone has an argument for it. So I guess It's still between an X2 and dual core Opteron

your board supports the AM2 platform. you will have to get the AM2 riser card (and additional $40). as far as clocking goes, no easy Vcore fix as one can do for the 939 runnings, one has to do some soldering. if you don't do the mod, your vcore is limited somewhat.

i have an AsRock dual Sata II running with an 3600+ Brisbane on the riser, 4 gigs of the sweet Adata ramski and i can confirm it works wonderfully......

personally, i would just get another 939 cpu, there is essentially no difference between the two in the performance department (maybe 5%, unnoticable), and it is cheaper..

laterz

according to his link that a s 939 board , you would be crazy not to get a 165 , if you get one with out the HS it would be really cheap , oc it and it will out perform any x2 out there and run cooler , the Opteron chips are top of the line

Opteron 1100 said:
according to his link that a s 939 board , you would be crazy not to get a 165 , if you get one with out the HS it would be really cheap , oc it and it will out perform any x2 out there and run cooler , the Opteron chips are top of the line

Not biased toward the Opteron are you? ;)

Just kidding. I appreciate any help. Neither Newegg or Zipzoomfly sell OEM Opty 165/175.

How much cooler do the Opterons run compared to the X2 chips? What other advantages (if any) do Opty's have over X2 besides temps? Just getting my facts straight...gonna order sometime today. Thanks.

The opteron use top of the line silicon and also use better wafers
Its top of the line when it comes to AMD
They will oc better for the s939 especially now with all the newer stepping
They oc with hardly any voltage increase
95 bucks and a lil tweaking you will have a jam up system and you wont have to upgrade
for a while

Here's a thread I found over at Anandtech on the same exact issue.

I bought the OEM X2 3800 for $64 shipped, that's just too crazy cheap, and I already have a heatsink/fan for it (from my dead Opty). These chips (X2 3800 Toledo and Opty 165) are so close to eachother performance wise I think the smart thing to do is get the best deal, and $64 is the best deal. Plus the word out there is that newegg's X2 3800 OEMs are really good overclockers. One guy who bought one (in the linked thread) got his to 2.8 ghz, even a tad undervolted. I'm not going to keep my hopes that high but hopefully I'll get a good OCer. I imagine it's still pretty much luck of the draw. I am worried about it being a heat monster, I've always had high temps no matter what CPUs i've used in the past.

Anyhow, hope I can get my computer working again with this CPU, otherwise I'm going to have to do a full upgrade, and that would really suck, because I don't have the money to do a full upgrade.

Thanks for the help all.

Last edited:
well its ur money , performance wise thou the 165 would whip the 3800 because of the L2 cache and the opty ocs better , any how good luck

Awesome, let us know how it overclocks. If it runs warm you could always lap your heatsink and remove the IHS.

Here is a guide on IHS removal.

I would probably go with the X2 just because of the lower price. It is the reason I went with the X2 back when I got mine. My X2 3800 does 2.8 at stock voltage and 3.0 at 1.469v.

Back