• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broken Corsair hx620 or something else, please help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luconosa

Registered
Hi, this is my 1st post here, but i am lurking for quite time.
Now i have problem, and i hope someone here will help me.

I am in process of upgrading my rig, one step at the time.

Here are specs i have for the moment:

Win XP Home sp2, all latest updates
Mobo ECS 915PL-A2
P4 3.0 HT
2x1024 MB TakeMS
Evga GeForce 7950GT KO (before that i was running on MSI 7600GS)
2xHDD
1xDVD
2x80mm fans
Fan at the CPU
Tv card
PCI Wlan card
X-Fi-Gamer
Zboard usb Keyboard
Logitech G5 usb mouse
Hp all-in-one usb printer

I was able to run all that with Codegen 400W PSU, Model x300, ATX 2.03 (P4) but it was unstable since i put 7950, and my next upgrade was PSU(yesterday i bought one)
After great reviews i decided to buy Corsair hx620w.
But then problems started, when i installed it i couldn't start my comp.
Its behaving like there is not enough juice to start all this, my english is poor and i don't know how to explain, but imagine old car at the winter (start for a sec and the is dead), thats why i made video to get you better picture what is happening. I tried to rearrange cables, unplug one disc at the time, and God knows what else, and nothing, always the same.
Strange thing is when i unplug 4pin auxiliary from mobo i got stable fan working but nothing else, i still can't load win.
I tried to put old codegen PSU back, and its working. I can run Company of Heroes, F.E.A.R and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with that quite stable on medium/ high.

Am i the Chosen one (1st unlucky you can find on the net with hx620 :bang head ), or it is not compatible with Mobo, broken Mobo or something else, please help. Should i start RMA or explore a bit more. I think it's PSU, but you never know, i've seen even stranger comps behaviors :)
Thank you in advance.

Movie:

Old PSU1:
codegen-2.jpg

Old PSU2:
codegen-1.jpg

If everythings hooked up well, old PSU boots the PC up then its simple..The PSU is a defect just RMA it

And a 620W is overkill if its soal purpose is for that computer you have now unless you are upgrading to two 8800GTS, OCed quad core and a bunch of hard drives in RAID. You would do just fine with a 520w

Check the capacitors on the mainboard for bulging and/or leaking... ECS was bad for using terrible caps on their boards. At this point in time, I'm thinking it's probably not the PSU... it's likely sensing a problem the junk Codegen couldn't.

Welcome to the forums!

Mathersalan said:
And a 620W is overkill if its soal purpose is for that computer you have now unless you are upgrading to two 8800GTS, OCed quad core and a bunch of hard drives in RAID. You would do just fine with a 520w

I know that. I am planning to put quad, and waiting for next gen of dx10 cards (planning to sli), i think those 1st ones are something between, not worthy the money. Some watter cooling, and do not wanna to think will it be enough. And the difference was only 35$. IMHO for 5yrs warranty it's not so much.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Check the capacitors on the mainboard for bulging and/or leaking... ECS was bad for using terrible caps on their boards. At this point in time, I'm thinking it's probably not the PSU... it's likely sensing a problem the junk Codegen couldn't.

Welcome to the forums!

That is what i am thinking too, especially because i need to wait after crash for Corsair to restart or something, then i can try again. So, i think some kind of protection is triggered. I will try it on some other comps to know for sure.

I was really lucky with ECS and Codegen due to their crappy reputation. For almost 2 yrs i was running the most demanding games and when i wasn't playing Seti was running 24/7. It is miracle for that comp to be alive at all.
It will just hurry me to buy new Mobo and CPU :) . Until then laptop will do the job.

Thank you for answering both.
Nice to be here, i learned a lot from here before i needed to post my problem

While I think it's already been said, if one works and the other doesn't, I think it is detecting something and shutting down. I've got the 620HX and I think it's the best bang for the buck!

If I didn't know better, I would say it's detecting a ground fault. Try it another PC on a different power circuit to make sure. It's always possible there is something wrong with the supply itself, if so, I'd still recommend sticking with it, just RMA or exchange it.

Luconosa said:
I know that. I am planning to put quad, and waiting for next gen of dx10 cards (planning to sli), i think those 1st ones are something between, not worthy the money. Some watter cooling, and do not wanna to think will it be enough. And the difference was only 35$. IMHO for 5yrs warranty it's not so much.

That is what i am thinking too, especially because i need to wait after crash for Corsair to restart or something, then i can try again. So, i think some kind of protection is triggered. I will try it on some other comps to know for sure.

I was really lucky with ECS and Codegen due to their crappy reputation. For almost 2 yrs i was running the most demanding games and when i wasn't playing Seti was running 24/7. It is miracle for that comp to be alive at all.
It will just hurry me to buy new Mobo and CPU :) . Until then laptop will do the job.

Thank you for answering both.
Nice to be here, i learned a lot from here before i needed to post my problem

Damn did not notice you had a Elite Group mobo, this may be your main cause. I read somewhere (not in these forums) with someone having a problem that the PSU boots up, everything goes but bam shuts back down while the older PSU worked fine and they had a ECS AMD mobo.

Look around in the classifieds I think theres a cheap mobo for sale that would fit your socket, and if you ever switch out motherboards does the same thing its got to be the PSU. Like EW said in the post pointing out you have a Elite group mobo look for any leaking caps, burned traces on board and stuff like that. There could be a short somewhere!

Solved, thank you.

Well, it was MoBo. I replaced with MSI Neo-V and it's all working like charm.:clap:

Ty all for your help, and advices.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

A couple of my friends use ECS mobos because they got them for free/cheap with a combo deal at Fry's. I keep telling them that one day that cheap mobo will come back to haunt them!

Oklahoma Wolf said:

Welcome to the forums!

The Oklahoma Wolf strikes again! :thup: :clap:

Attachments

• OK Wolf.jpg
    OK Wolf.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 197
wow good PSU can detect problems on mobos?
if it works, why not just power it, what could possibly go wrong anyways...

Back