• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

this is for the AMD people...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

takiwa

Let's say I had a K6-266AFR, 2.2V Core / 3.3V I/O, A 9847DPM...let's just say that.
What if I wanted to try to overclock this chip? What would be the best Socket7 board/chipset to accomplish this objective with? Just supposing I had an AMD chip...and I wanted to give this to someone as a curs...err, gift :rolleyes: ...What could I hope to achieve from this chip?

You posted in the wrong section ;). You will actually get a response in the AMD section, many of us here have never touched AMD setups or won't respond because posting in the incorrect topic (intentionally or non-intentionally) is not forum policy and protocol.

oops...I'm new to this, and also an idiot :beer: Maybe I should try the AMD section, huh? :eh?: Sorry again....

You are posting this in the wrong forum, but I just happen to own a K-6 266. I got this CPU and a generic mobo in a swap and built a box using salvaged and extra parts. Once I got it running, I posted a couple of questions about it in the AMD CPU section and never got an answer, so I played around with it and learned about it on my own. It runs at a default 4X66=266, but I was able to overclock at 4.5X66=300 and also 4.5X75=337.5. Never could make it go any higher even with 2.5v. Right now I'm running it back at 300 MHz at default voltage and it's rock stable. A non-overclocking friend is going to get it so I wanted to make it a cool running and stable rig rather than an extreme overclocked tempermental system. My results seem fairly typical considering I only had one extra case fan and a generic CPU cooler (although I did lap the heatsink a little and used Arctic Silver). As for what mobo? I'd say anything that has adjustable multipliers and FSB settings. This cheapie no-name board I have goes up to 83 FSB and 5X multipliers.

I've also run the K6 and K6-2 series of chips on the old Intel TX chipset boards with no problems. I'm presently working on a shuttle hot 591P(Via MVP3) board with a K6-300 in it for my church; it had quit booting up. Turns out that it had a bad floppy cable and was locking everything up after posting, when going to boot up. I presently have it set to 330 mhz and no problems. It's using a coolermaster hsf that had come with a duron chip that I had built for a friend.

These aren't bad old chips; they are comparable to a Pentium MMX chip at their clock speed.

thanks for the help, guys...sorry I posted in the wrong section. I was on the T1 line at the college downloading, and I came in real quick to ask the question...didn't realize where I was til I left. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back