• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Minimum requirements for a file server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bLack0ut

I recently picked up a P1 233 mhz computer with 32 mb ram (SDRAM). I'm wondering if it will be enough to run a file server (samba prob). I can upgrade the ram to 256 mb if needed.

To run somthing like free nas you need atleast 196RaM

I don' know much about samba though

Samba is usually included with most linux distributions, I don't think it comes as a stand alone os. If you can find a linux dist to run on that machine (very possible) then yes.

BTW by samba i meant some linux distro + samba. would upgrading to 256 mb ram open up more options/increase performance?

also, will the cpu/ram affect file distribution speeds?

Ah, as long as the machine can handle the distro you use and isn't running at 100% usage all the time then should be fine, more ram will help a bit. If you use a large socket A heatsink on that cpu you should be able to run it without a fan, also I tried to set samba up on a unix system, didn't manage it was a complete git to get working, so I gave up.

heh it actually has a huge passive heatsink on it alrdy, and im not too worried about it overheating.

thx for the info.

Back