• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD K6-2 450Mhz@600Mhz Asus P5A-B Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XaRz

Well I assume that I'm a newbie on overclocking but I need to understand some things:

I put my AMD 450 to 475 without any problems like 500Mhz all goes perfect at 30ºC
clock temp...when I tried to put my clock at 5x120 (600Mhz) the PC turns on but Agp not...how I can change my settings to my asus P5a-b accept the 600Mhz speed.I have to reconfigure the video jumper settings?

Thanks in advance dudes

What does that mean your agp does not turn on?
Sometimes when I raise just the multiplier and I exit the bios my monitor gets no signal and I have to shut off, boot up, and lower the multiplier. Maybe you could raising the VCore?

sorry I don't know englkish very well...the problem is like you describes...my monitors turn off but I can hear the Pc booting up...
mmm perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I see some people that can put multiplier at 5.5x or 6x. I don't understand becasue in the asus p5A-B manual don't say anything up to 5x speed...

as like you say...it monitor turns off it means that the 120x5 can't be set?

Thanks in advance dude!

I'm not sure if the regular K6-2 is like the K6-2+ and K6-3+. On those 2 procs the 2X multiplier is re-mapped to 6X. In other words, to get a 6X multiplier on a K6-2+ or 3+ proc, you set the multiplier to 2X on the motherboard.
Also, try setting your board to 4.5 X 120fsb and see if you can run like that(540 mhz). Your proc just might not overclock to 600 mhz.
One other possibility is that your video card might not agree with the high AGP bus speeds when you are running at 120 fsb. Hope this helps you.

400Mhz and aboce K6-2s are the CXT core which has the 6x multiplier, CXT cores were also downbinned to 333 350 375 and 380 Mhz speed ratings although the previous original K6-2 core is also very common in these speed grades. Most of the slower CXTs I have come across appear by the production dates to have been produced in the new cores ramp up period, before it was officially released.

Anyway as muddoctor says 6x is selected by selecting the settings the board uses for 2x. The board don't have to say it supports it, it will just happen :)

regards,

Road Warrior

yeah! thanks about the info but I still have a problem.
How I can see if putting multiplier 2x is really 6x? The monitors turns off, but the Pc boot.
Is really a problem of AGP? or vcore?
..yeah lots questions I know...

Thanks for your help dudes...

Why don't you try to set the fsb speed back down to 100 and set your multiplier up to 5.5X so that you aren't overclocking the AGP bus and PCI bus speeds. If your video works then, you know that it is a video card problem. If it stil doesn't come up, then I would say that you have found the limit of your overclock.

To check 6x works, put the bus at 66, and the multi at 2 and you should get 400Mhz, so if that works, the 6x works. Now try 5x100 for 500 to check AGP etc works at 100, should do, shouldn't be overclocked on that if the board was built right. So if 100 works and 6x works but 6x 100 doesn't work, you need some better CPU cooling.

However 120 FSB is probably running the PCI at 40 and the AGP at 80, so try just 4x 120 to check for AGP etc problems, if it don't boot on that, then it definitely won't do 5x120. So aim for the 6x100 instead.

I'm not totally convinced that it is "booting" as you say it is, may just be the hdd self testing as it gets power. If you have an old ISA vid card hanging round, you could stick that in removing all PCI and AGP cards and try booting windows in safe mode. If it does that, then you're right about it being an AGP problem. If it don't boot at all with that in then it's probably messing up the internal PCI bus for the hdd as well.

regards,

Road Warrior

Well,well, well...more answers and questions :)
I tried the 2x and 66 and works the speed resultant is 400. I tried 2x (6x) and 83.3 and works at speed of 500Mhz I tried 2x(6x) at 95 and the system hangs on...well let me tell us my conclusion:

FSB Multiplier Speed AGP PCI

66 6x 400Mhz 66,8 33.4
83.3 6x 500Mhz 66.6 33.3
95 6x (570?) 63.3 31.6
100 6x (600?) 66.6 33.3

6x95 hangs on diferent that 6x100 now I'm triing to put and ISA video card for discard agp issues....

120 4x 480Mhz 80 40
120 4.5x 540Mhz 80 40
at this speed 4.5x120 the scssi don't boot like the windows XP, the message is that "the irqs is less or equal" ...perhaps the the pci and agp don't works at this speed.Why works it at 480 4x120??...interesting point.
Conclusion:
well thanks another time for your interest...I think that my board don't let me to run at 120 more than 4x for the multiplier and 5x100 and 6x83.@500Mhz that is the speed is set now...well is all for the moment :)

That sound you hear is just ur fans blowing.. Just because it turns on doesnt mean ANYTHING

Even without a CPU You can turn on your computer..

That's just power going to your fans, etc.

By the way...

It's obvious that AMD-K6-2's BLOW.

Btw, try a new heatsink.

Be careful... AMD-K62 Core is very fragile.

Also.. try updatin ur bios

Back