• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding box down, repeat we have a box down. Roger that.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
The X2 is down, I've been having intermittent difficulties with it in Windows XP x64 Edition over the past month or two. It will fold fine for days on end, but when I try to run a program, game, or even run the smallest program/benchmark I'll find that it intermittently shuts down on me, as if the power cord were yanked. This has been getting progressively more common in recent weeks.

Temps were and are mild, nothing is overheating. The motherboard/PWMIC is at 38c idle and 50c load last I've checked. CPU temp doesn't exceed 50c load. The power supply is a new FX-700GLN.

I wiped the drive and installed openSUSE 10.2 today and it was working fine, went to reboot and found the computer wouldn't post, an intermittent click coming from the hard drive. :eek: The hard drive is a six year old IBM DeskStar. Turning the system off, then back on, I found it to boot but then stalled at post right before it searches for boot CDs. Rebooting, I got it to begin the booting phase of openSUSE, but I got this error message (continually repeating with increasing sector numbers):

Code:
Buffer I/O error on device hdc3, logical block 32244773
hdc: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=66527542, sector=66527484
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 66527484

Could this DeathStar finally have failed me? I'm thinking so, openSUSE still exhibits this behavior even if the system is running at stock/underclocked speeds. (sigh) oh well, RIP DeathStar, six years out of a hard drive ain't bad.

Ouch, yeah I'd say the Deathstar blew it's core.
I've got 4 rigs down right now... some being moved at work, others down for G0 upgrades.

Yea your drive is probably shot. At least you didn't have a fireball :p

Sounds like. Hope you didn't have anything on it that you wanted to keep. :(

That's happened to me 3 times in recent memory.

I have to keep reminding myself that it's not a matter of if the HD will fail; it's just a question of when the HD will fail.

Last edited:
Ouch! :bang head Sounds like DeathStar to me... ala- the dreaded click-o-death.

Speaking of Fireball's... I could send you a couple to get you by... or a BigFoot. Sadly, I believe they all work. Should put them up for AAR. :D

NedClocker said:
Sounds like. Hope you didn't have anything on it that you wanted to keep. :(

Nah, it didn't have anything on it but windoze and fah, and fah completed it's WU right before I took it down to install openSUSE. It was actually a fairly convenient time for a hard drive to die. :)

harlam357 said:
Ouch! :bang head Sounds like DeathStar to me... ala- the dreaded click-o-death.

Speaking of Fireball's... I could send you a couple to get you by... or a BigFoot. Sadly, I believe they all work. Should put them up for AAR. :D

Thanks for the offer, but I'm back up and running now. I had to go through about two drives until I came across an old 5400rpm 20 gig that actually worked. openSUSE is sweet even with only 1 gig of ram. I really like the version of KDE shipped with it, although the mouse jumps occasionally. Probably due to the slower hard drive I presume.

Back