• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6700 unstable at 3.8 gig need help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

schumi

I have a EVGA 680i mb with a zalmans air cooled E6700 oc to 3.3 gig stable and nice temps around 50c at load. Here is the problem I am haveing trouble keeping it stable above 3.6 gig I had the FSB volts at 1.67 and it was still not stable also I have tryed linked and unlinked with the ram.( ddr2-800 Kingston hyperX) timing is 5-5-5-15 at 800 mhz. It will not run orthos stable for more than a few sec could someone recomend volts for this mother board or what worked for them? Thank you very much for all the help.I am in the process of getting a water cooling system the next 2 weeks....Temps at 3.8 gig were 70c under load w orthos for just a few mins.

Last edited:
Well, 70C is my book is too hot. Also, that motherboard will probably need some tweaking at that FSB. Like bumping up chipset voltages.

Water cooling will certainly bring down the temps but if you are having to go to 1.67 vCore and are still not stable then you are probably as high as you are going to get with that chip.
3.6 is not a bad oc - perhaps you can get it stable at 3.7 under water. Different chips have different limits.

Well, 70C is my book is too hot. Also, that motherboard will probably need some tweaking at that FSB. Like bumping up chipset voltages

what should I bump up and to what I have everything at 1.5 or 1.55 and my ram is at 2.0 and I hope this is not the max my card can do...and again thanks guys I am new to this and love it so far....oh got my super pi to 13.060 at 1mil.

Last edited:
You may need to bump DOWN your voltage. That is a lot of volts to be pushing even with water. You may have reached the limit of the MoBo, or the CPU (or both). If you want to go higher you may want to wait for your water-cooling rig before you fry something. A P35 MoBo may take you a little higher, but again 3.8GHz is very good, and it doesn't sound like your stable at all at that speed.

BTW, sometimes when you get too hot it will cause instability as well. Thus giving it more volts may not be a solution.

thanks guys and yes I have it at 3.3 gig for everyday. and the temps are in the low 50 at load and will run orthos no problem. I cant wait for water and I am trying to keep up with a friend who has a E6600 at 3.9 gigs I just want to get close... lol.

schumi said:
thanks guys and yes I have it at 3.3 gig for everyday. and the temps are in the low 50 at load and will run orthos no problem. I cant wait for water and I am trying to keep up with a friend who has a E6600 at 3.9 gigs I just want to get close... lol.

is your friend on water cooling? Even then reaching that is rare on an E6600, has he proven this to you?

schumi said:
Ya and he is on air and he is part of your OC benchmark team

*my* OC benchmark team ? :confused:

I would venture to say other things are going on then including one or all of the following:

Lapped IHS
Lapped HS
Luck in a good CPU

:beer: sorry I meant OC forums OC benchmark team. whats the highest OC you have gotten on your E6700? I was not trying to be smart with you.

heh, that's fine. Mine got to about 3.6 Ghz, but my ambients are pretty high so I stopped then backed it down to 3.4 Ghz for temperature reasons. The CPU/Mobo could have physically gone much further if in a better environment. I'm not really a good gage to judge on.

i'm his friend, and yes it can put up those kinda numbers. stop by after we take our forum wars scores public and have a look. my e6600 isnt even the best of the bunch. :)

Back