• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me decide on a C2D! Want maximum overclockability!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

loybond

Registered
Hi guys! I'd like some advice on a CPU! I just had an e6300 and a P5B deluxe wifi mobo, was able to reach 3.4x GHz but was apparently CPU limited.

I'm going to an SLI configuration, so I need a new CPU, and for FS X, I need the fastest one possible. Is there anything out there that can do 4 GHz+? What's the most overclockable? Will an SLI mobo hold me back? Any recommendations on a mobo are welcome!

Thanks!

E6850 for maximum overclockability. Though I don't see how a 3.4ghz E6300 is lacking.

ancalime said:
E6850 for maximum overclockability. Though I don't see how a 3.4ghz E6300 is lacking.
I'll second that.

A good SLi motherboard is the eVGA 680i.

Lastly, :welcome: to the forums!!

loybond said:
I'm going to an SLI configuration, so I need a new CPU, and for FS X, I need the fastest one possible. Is there anything out there that can do 4 GHz+? What's the most overclockable? Will an SLI mobo hold me back? Any recommendations on a mobo are welcome!
an E6850 should do 4GHz+ even on air cooling, which is an extremely good overclock. an SLI mobo might hold you back a bit from a max overclock with your E6850, since SLI support is only available on 680i boards (others too but 680i is the best). P35 chipset motherboards will usually overclock an E6850 higher, but they have no SLI support.

Thanks for the responses, and thanks for the welcome! I know it seems like 3.4 GHz is not lacking in any way, but when it comes to FSX, it is. I need all the CPU muscle I can throw at it. Plus I acted impulsively and already sold my mobo and the CPU is gone tomorrow (for a half decent sum of 325 cad!).

So it seems unanimous that the E6850 is the overclocking CPU of choice. Do you guys think I'll be able to hit 4 GHz with any 680i board? Have you guys heard of the Asus Blitz Extreme? It has 2 x8 PCIe slots, would that really negatively affect the 2 8800s?

With a great 680i board, you should hit 4GHz with an E6850 without much difficulty. I haven't heard of the Blitz Extreme, but I do know that the striker extreme can do 4GHz+ with that cpu

I thought if you want "maximum" OC flexibility is to go with the Intel's extreme CPU series ?

bing said:
I thought if you want "maximum" OC flexibility is to go with the Intel's extreme CPU series ?
core 2 extreme CPUs also entail a maximum budget, so they're generally bad recommendations :p

shirker said:
core 2 extreme CPUs also entail a maximum budget, so they're generally bad recommendations :p

he..he.. agreed ! But the OP worded these "I need the fastest one possible" and "What's the most overclockable?" without mentioning budget, well .. :shrug:

bing said:
he..he.. agreed ! But the OP worded these "I need the fastest one possible" and "What's the most overclockable?" without mentioning budget, well .. :shrug:
well his last build happened to have an affordable E6300 and P5B, so I figured there's no reason for him to go insane on this new build with a QX6850 or something :eek:

hUMANbEATbOX, FSX with a patch now can make use of quad core, but they say the improvement is slight at best.

Shirker, if what you're saying is correct, then I think the Striker might be for me. I'm confused about that board because on some reviews and boards they say its not the best overclocker, but on some sites I've seen overclock results and a couple in the top are on the Striker. While I'm not terribly limited by budget, I just don't see the value in the Extreme series. When chips in the 150-400 range can perform pretty much as well as chips that are 1000+, it doesn't make all that much sense to spend that on a CPU just for an unlocked multiplier and 4+ capability on extreme cooling. I think from you guys have been telling me, 6850s can do that too, and without the extreme cooling to boot.

What difference is there between the 680i boards? Is there anything that makes the Striker better than the others? Have you guys heard anything about this "black pearl" board from evga, any points of view on that?

loybond said:
What difference is there between the 680i boards? Is there anything that makes the Striker better than the others? Have you guys heard anything about this "black pearl" board from evga, any points of view on that?

Most are just carbon copies of the reference design. Only notable difference is the MSI P6N Diamond has onboard X-Fi sound and 2 onboard SATA hardware raid ports.

Actually, X-Fi onboard sounds wicked! But I couldn't find this board in the Toronto area.

Alright, so Q6600 or E6750, E6850 according to the knowledgeable chaps around here. Shirker's told me I probably can't expect 3.6 from a Q6600 on a 680i board, but what can I expect? 3.4? 3.5? What can I expect from the other two on a 680i board?

And any idea if OSx86 works on the 680i boards? Tried googling it but didn't find much.

loybond said:
Actually, X-Fi onboard sounds wicked! But I couldn't find this board in the Toronto area.

Alright, so Q6600 or E6750, E6850 according to the knowledgeable chaps around here. Shirker's told me I probably can't expect 3.6 from a Q6600 on a 680i board, but what can I expect? 3.4? 3.5? What can I expect from the other two on a 680i board?

And any idea if OSx86 works on the 680i boards? Tried googling it but didn't find much.
I swear, I've been spending too much time on here lately :shrug:
you can expect 3.3-3.5GHz with a G0 Q6600 on a solid 680i board, IMO. I can't say I know anything of the performance of the E6750/E6850 on 680i boards, but I do know that on a P35 chipset board, the E6750 overclocks to the high 3GHz range, whereas the E6850 can do 4GHz+.

The only problem I can imagine you having with a 680i board and one of those three CPUs is that it's unlikely that you will be able to get the FSB speed up very high. the E6X50 CPUs are incredible in that they can all seem to run stably at a 500MHz+ fsb. I don't think any 680i board can even take them up this high

shirker said:
I swear, I've been spending too much time on here lately :shrug:
you can expect 3.3-3.5GHz with a G0 Q6600 on a solid 680i board, IMO. I can't say I know anything of the performance of the E6750/E6850 on 680i boards, but I do know that on a P35 chipset board, the E6750 overclocks to the high 3GHz range, whereas the E6850 can do 4GHz+.

The only problem I can imagine you having with a 680i board and one of those three CPUs is that it's unlikely that you will be able to get the FSB speed up very high. the E6X50 CPUs are incredible in that they can all seem to run stably at a 500MHz+ fsb. I don't think any 680i board can even take them up this high

Your generosity is much appreciated my digital friend!

chrispycrunch said:
Just curious: what real-world difference is there between a 4ghz (e6850) and 3Ghz on an e6750?

About 1GHz. :)

Thing is you might be able to get an e6750 up to around 4GHz albeit w/ a higher FSB than the e6850. I definitely feel the e6750 is the better bang for the buck. The only advantage I see for the e6850 is if you want to be more sure you can hit 4Ghz+.

Back