• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista on desktop and laptop - Legal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quadcore86

Is it okay to install Vista on desktop and laptop (same key). It's an OEM I bought from newegg. If it doesn't get through activation, do you think the MS Rep MAY allow me to install on both desktop and laptop?

My laptop already comes with Vista Home Premium but the laptop has alot of trial-crap installed, I rather have a fresh clean copy.

Nope nope nope,

Its an OEM and its for 1 cpu only and microshaft will not like that.

you need a 1-2 cpu license or a new one.

What if I beg them? Technically, I still have the "license" from the OEM version of Home Premium that came with the laptop. What if I ask Microsoft to giveme a clean version of what Sony gave me?

If you have a Key that came with your laptop, then install Vista in there with that key. Then it would be legal, since you are using 2 different keys, but the same install disc.

Technically no, not legal. It won't be hard to get around but you will be violating their TOS/user agreements and I won't go into this on this forum. 1 key per computer by rule unless they come with multiple licenses (eg if you are at a school or a business)

I have the OEM laptop cd key for Vista Home Premium but I have no Vista Home Premium install disc.....I however have Vista Ultimate install disc that is already installed on my desktop.

Can I request Microsoft for a CD if I tell them that I have a CD KEY? I'd be willing to pay a shipping finger if required...

You will have to send them proof of ownership, I believe SilverSinkSam was posting about getting a new disk from MS, I would send him a PM on what he needed to send off to them. Short answer, if you have proof of purchase, yes, you can get another CD. I believe it's 30$ for a replacement though (it's a business, they're out to make money)

Last edited:
41$ for a new one but if you hassle them they'll do it for 30$ still extautionate for a 2c CD.

Do you know what number I should call? (What should I ask them or what department to transfer to). Also, for proof of purchase, what should I show/send? Receipt?

i think sony will give you a new one. you'll probably still have to pay some kind of fee though. they might be easier to deal with since you're already a customer to them.

I'll agree with that. Dell sent me a new OEM Windows XP Home disk when I lost mine. They already had the proof of purchase on their records and they usually are not out to make a killing off of you because you already bought their crappy system :)

radium said:
Technically no, not legal. It won't be hard to get around but you will be violating their TOS/user agreements and I won't go into this on this forum. 1 key per computer by rule unless they come with multiple licenses (eg if you are at a school or a business)

I agree, in their EULA they state you are allowed "one copy to be installed on a computer and one copy for a mobile device" This mobile device is NOT your laptop (i took the $35 student edition loss and bought another). The mobile device they are talking about is flash devices, CD/DVD.

Thanks guys, I have decided to call Microsoft instead of the laptop manufacturer because I want a 64-bit copy instead. Does anyone know the number to call?

If you need the re-install CD for an OEM machine you're usually best served getting it from the manufacturer. Most times MS will either charge you for the support/disc or refer you back to your OEM anyways.

if you have the 32 bit version currently, good luck getting the 64 version from MS. i can totally see them shooting down that request.

Back