• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I return this B3 and get a G0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aintnospam

My B3 is getting terrible temps. 52C idle and 80C load (!) with only a 200mhz overclock. Taking the clock to stock helps lower the temps by 2 degrees. Should I get a G0 instead for better temps? I don't want my CPU to fry :(

What's it like wth no overclock?

If it doesn't go over 62c on stock you can't return it cause theres nothing wrong with it.

JamesXP said:
What's it like wth no overclock?

If it doesn't go over 62c on stock you can't return it cause theres nothing wrong with it.
50c->78c on stock

btw, is the load temp usually that much more than the idle?

Last edited:
You'd like to see an increase of no more than 15C on C2D, but I'm not sure about Quads, 28C sounds like it is quite a bit, yes.

Lapping would be my answer, but that would prevent you from ever returning it. There have been a few threads lately showing how concave the IHS is on the chips. When lapping, the corners are being ground first, when the chip is in the center lowered portion. Of course this is going to lead to questionable temps.

Worth a shot if you are willing to commit to that B3 chip.

I don't want to lap because I won't be doing any extreme overclocking. I would be happy with only 2.7ghz. I just want temps to remain low.

I suspect the heatsink/contact. I was hitting from 70-80c with a lapped scythe ninja (worst peice of crap I have ever purchased). The push-pin mounting system sucks, I now have a lapped thermalright u120 extreme and hit 60c loaded. I would look into getting a mounting system that puts more pressure if your cooler uses pushpins.

My room's temps are ~75F. I'm using an arctic cooling freezer 7 pro for hsf. So these temps are definitely abnormal right? I'll have to borrow some arctic silver again if I remount.

Before I take this thing apart, I want to make sure my hsf is placed in the best direction for taking air out of the case. My case (LIAN LI PC-65B) has a back fan (air out), a top fan (air out), and two front fans (air in). The CPU HSF is positioned so that it is facing the front of the case. Is it right in thinking that the hot air coming out of the CPU HSF will get rise to the top of the case and out the top fan? Or is there a better way to position the HSF? Here are some pics:

Taken from side

Taken from bottom

Thanks in advance!

Back