• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to revive a DEAD DFI-NF4 SLI DR (Updates in the first post)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
O.k guys,

I have a dead SLI-DR on my hands. I'd like your expert help to revive it. :santa2:

Symptoms:
  • Diagnostic LED turns on, but when I press the power on switch, fans spin up momentarily and then it shuts down. PSU has to be turned off/on to get the LED's to turn on.
Diagnostic ideas:
  • I'm planning on tracking the accesible connections starting with the PS-ON signal from the 12V ATX connector.
  • Next up, the caps will be looked at (it wasrecapped by the previous owner).
Any suggestions are welcome!

Diagnostics:

I'm starting from the Ez-power switch side of the board.
  1. Zeners are o.k. Zeners have a forward drop voltage of 0.7~0.5V. All the Zeners checked out fine.
  2. CMOS battery is O.K 2.9996V
  3. ATX switch has 3.3V across it.
  4. No PS_ON low signal. This is a big problem. :-/ For those who are wondering, PS_ON is a low logic signal telling the PSU to turn on. The measurement points are between the green wire in the 24 pin connector and any black wire. Mine stays at a constant of 4.7 V. It is supposed to drop to 0 momentarily for the PSU to turn on. Now I have to figure out what is causing this.

Last edited:
I've tried the case, easy switches and the good ol screwdriver shorting on the rear side of the board. It is dead as dead can be. :(

You know, I'm sure countless perfectly revivable boards get tossed away branded as "dead." If you stop and think about it, a mobo is just a large PCB with a bunch of components that can potentially be replaced. Just about anything can be replaced in fact except for the northbridge and southbridge themselves...I bet nearly any dead board can be fixed, even ones taking water damage or vmods gone bad.

The challenge is just finding which components are the faulty ones.

||Console|| said:
If you need some parts I have a half dead Ultra-d that you are welcome to .

Thanks man, I'll keep this in mind.:thup:

How do you guys think I should proceed with this?

First off clear/reset the BIOS and then try using a different Power Supply.

Mine exhibited the exact same symptoms and a new PSU fixed it.

dribble: Tried it with 4 different PSU's, 3 different RAM sets and 3 different CPU's. No go.

Console: I bought the board from somebody on the forums who claimed it worked. Moron that I am, I did not check it till after a month. Needless to say it was dead. The only reason that person has not been banned from trading is because it was solely my fault in not verifying the seller's claims. :-/

Apple: What is wrong with your board? :)

I was going to reccomend trying a new PSU but it looks as if you have tried that . I had a problem that sounds exactly the same and it turned out I needed to "reset" my power supply. The PSU was in some sort of protection mode.

Here are some things you may or may not have tried. Use only a video card and no drives hooked up. Try a PCI video card if you have one. Try a different CPU. Try 1 stick of ram in each of the slots. The board is most likely shutting itself off because of an electrical fault. Have you checked for funky looking capacitors?

I think you will need to spend some time sitting down with your DMM and checking all those working caps =)

While your at it check the vcore/vdimm read points and see if they are both getting the correct voltages or any at all.

It's not getting past the spin-up stage. I'll try that though.

All updates are in the first post.

Last edited:
Have you tried putting in a momentary switch to short the PS_ON line (the green wire) to ground? If the board is incapable of doing it, perhaps you could do it manually and see if it will boot.

Here what I've learned when I fixed few mobos while ago.

The obvious & most popular problems, sick caps with low ESR. This should be the 1st one to suspect as you mentioned above. I assume you got an ESR meter handy. :)

If I were you, I would check 1st all those recap-ed job done by the previous owner such as the solder jobs and other tiny "accidents" that probably happened like cutted/grooved trace and etc.

Focus and watch out for those power caps that supplies the main memory, usually they used cheaper one compared to other caps like for CPU's VR. I have observed on few mobos, that they still can even beep or lighted out the mobo's led even with bad caps in it, although no POST.

In your case, too bad you never seen that mobo when it was working fine.

Two cases I've founded on hissing mobos when working, that when died, I revived them perfectly just by re-soldering or re-heating all those inductor's lead.

Dunno what exactly the theory behind it, I can only speculate that those vibrating choke was loosening it's own soldering joints and slowly degradring the joints, but this makes sense for me though ! :D Or prolly I was lucky ! :)

Dead power mosfet from CPU VR, solved 1 mobo that had it, and it was really a "minor" or really small buldge on it's plastic body but not obvious just by taking a glance on it, I was lucky to spot it when inspecting the mobo under Luxo light with magnifier. Without it, I could have missed that. Solved it by cannibalized mosfet from other same broken mobo. :D

Now bout your symptons :

Super Nade said:
Zeners are o.k. Zeners have a forward drop voltage of 0.7~0.5V. All the Zeners checked out fine.

Zener works on their "reverse" bias voltage, while their "forward" voltage should behaved like normal silicon diodes, so it abit difficult to test them but most of the times they're quite reliable.
Also most mobo now are using 3.3 Volts or 5 Volts zener, except from some strange serial RS-232 port area. Also some of them are schotky diode with lower forward bias voltage like 0.3 to 0.4 volts.

Super Nade said:
No PS_ON low signal. This is a big problem.
It is supposed to drop to 0 momentarily for the PSU to turn on. Now I have to figure out what is causing this.

What did you use on measuring those PS_ON signal ? Scope ?
I doubt when using DVM you could catch that "momentary" state / spike from logic low and back to high that could happened in mili seconds.
These sequence is normal when the mobo logic detects some error, it tries to switch on (PS_ON=low) but because of some errors, it switches off back (PS_ON=high). That PS_ON signal is mostly controlled by the IO chips, popular one like Winbond or ITE.

Imo, most of the problems with the mobo are the analog parts, but when it comes to digital part, I just give up ! :eh?:

You should take these with grain of salt, cause I'm not mobo repair expert, its just I got all of this from learning by doing in the past.

Hope this contributes to your mobo reviving mission ! ;)

Last edited:
Back