• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volt Mod 8600GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rocksfan_1

I just bought the 8600GT for like $75 I think and want to volt mod it already. I have read a couple of guides, but none of them pertain to the leadtek version. Are all of these cards pretty much the same, or do I need to find one for the leadtek version. Please don't make this into a buy a better card forum because I cannot afford to buy a better card.

AFAIK, they should all be pretty much the same card, except for the cooler. Read through the V-mod guide and make sure you can identify all of the contacts that you should be connecting. One thing I would recommend for any Volt modding, however, is better cooling on the card. I volt modded my 7900 GT I had a while back and the temps with the stock cooler (which was trash anyways) jumped about 15-20 C with .3 extra volts and the same clocks. And those 8600's are supposed to be real beasts after V-modding. From what I've read they can keep up with and even beat out the 7900 GT's in some cases. Definitely not a slouch of a card by any standard, especially for $75.

Why don't more people mod these and run these if they overclock so well? Are most overclockers getting lazy and have a lot of money to just buy the most expensive card that will haul *** even at stock levels? I figure for this $30 upgrade from a 6600gt I should definately get my moneys worth (hoping to sell 6600gt for $45)

I know that the 8800 will preform much much better, but when I am pitching 6000 out of my pocket towards tuition for college, and only making money in the summer, I cannot afford to spend 200-300 for a video card. All I am saying is that the reason I started overclocking is because I wanted to get much more expensive performance for a lower dollar amount. Don't mean to get anything started here.

rocksfan_1 said:
I know that the 8800 will preform much much better, but when I am pitching 6000 out of my pocket towards tuition for college, and only making money in the summer, I cannot afford to spend 200-300 for a video card. All I am saying is that the reason I started overclocking is because I wanted to get much more expensive performance for a lower dollar amount. Don't mean to get anything started here.
Don't worry, apparently thats what my thread was for.

I was very happy with my 8600gt I would have kept it but i needed a better card for Forum wars

rocksfan_1 - Thats the reason OC'ing started. I usually follow the same ideals. OC'ing was started as a money saver, and almost evolved into a type of sport. Yet another example of how any activity can be pushed to the limits. May I ask where you got an 8600gt for $75? I am possibly looking for one myself, but if its over $100 I would go 8800 320 or 7900.

Newegg recently had a leadtek 8600 for $100, then $6 for shipping, and a $30 MIR. The deal is over though, sorry.

Back